We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

teenagers and St.Ives

Which St Ives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle
Level Contributor
46 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
teenagers and St.Ives

I have two teen girls aged 16 and 17. they are fairly outdoorsy but apart from learning to surf and walking would there be enough for them to do here for a week?They are not keen on sunbathing.

london
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: teenagers and St.Ives

I took my children down to west Cornwall when they were teenagers and they loved it ... surfing and walking took up a good chunk of their time, and we also hired bikes and they took off on them ... I must admit I cheated a couple of years, I signed them up for a week with a guy who took them off every morning and delivered them back tired and happy each evening, in between they did surfing lessons, swimming, cycling and (thank goodness I didn't learn about this until much later) if there wasn't any good surf they went tombstoning ... my youngest learned art was fascinating at the Tate Gallery and the Barbara Hepworth museum

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: teenagers and St.Ives

Have you already booked up at St.Ives....? There is Horse riding nearby. But can't think of much else for them to do from what's already been mentioned.

Caz

Blackpool
Destination Expert
for Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: teenagers and St.Ives

Just think if you took them to Spain. What would they do there for a week? Im sure everything you think of that they would do there, they could do in St Ives :)

UK
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: teenagers and St.Ives

Maybe walk the coastal path from St Ives to Lelant Saltings? Running through it in my mind, I don't think there are any dangerous bits ie near cliff top, only some steep steps in places. It's about a 2 hour walk one way and you can take the train back or walk back. You get the chance to walk along the dunes at port Kidney Sands, it's beautiful.

newcastle
Level Contributor
46 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: teenagers and St.Ives

thank you all so much for your replies.you are right there probably is as much to do there as in Spain.Cant wait to go now!

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: teenagers and St.Ives

St Ives has plenty of shops and restaurants and bars. Hub Bar is a great place for all the family to hang out and they do great tea, coffee and hot chocolate and other drinks with a fabulous view of The Harbour.

There are plenty of boat trips that can be taken from The Harbour or there are self drive boats too.

The Tate Gallery and The Barbara Hepworth Museum and all the art galleries might be of interest too.

Out of St Ives, I recommend a drive over to Gwithian with it's fabulous walks, views and Sunset Surf Cafe for surf hire/lessons. The cake they do there is fantastic too and all with amazing views. If you walk up towards Navax Point and have a look over at Mutton Cove you may even see the grey seals on the beach.

Chantal's suggestion of the walk from St Ives to Lelant is a fantastic idea. If you check the tide tables and make sure the tide is out, you can walk along the beach at Carbis Bay and walk past Carrack Gladden at low tide and right round onto Porthkidney Sands. Do make sure it is the lowest point of the tide though as it is not safe to go wading round there with the water coming up to your thighs, believe me, I know! LOL Never again. Lunch at The Badger in Lelant if you are there at the right time would be a fab way to finish off your walk.

I would also recommend a walk up to Knill's monument which offers breathtaking views right over St Ives Bay. The path can be picked up from the coast path between St Ives and Carbis Bay and is well worth the walk.

I don't think anyone could get bored in the area, there is so much to do.

Suzi

newcastle
Level Contributor
46 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: teenagers and St.Ives

thanks Suzi for a great list of ideas.

will keep an eye on the tides!

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: teenagers and St.Ives

Hi

Here is a link for tide times:-

…ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyTide/index.aspx

Suzi

newcastle
Level Contributor
46 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: teenagers and St.Ives

Thanks again!

Nottingham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: teenagers and St.Ives

im going st ives in 2 weeks, where can i meet other teenagers ?

Get answers to your questions about St Ives