We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Ives beats the best resorts in Spain

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
St Ives beats the best resorts in Spain

I thought you might be interested in this article from The Mail Online. I have to say that it doesn't surprise me one little bit:-

dailymail.co.uk/news/…ixzz1IfYXmgEd

Suzi

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Ives beats the best resorts in Spain

I quite agree, on a warm sunny day, Cornwalls beaches are as good as any in Europe. Unfortunately we don't have the Mediterranean climate to give us enough of those days. If we did, i guess Cornwall would be absolutely packed throughout the Summer, but then we would have Benidorm type resorts.

I think i'll stick with the British climate and stay as we are.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Ives beats the best resorts in Spain

I agree with you there Badcat, the British climate is fine as it is and I wouldn't want the places any busier than they are already.

I should also mention Newquay and Padstow came in the top 10 too with Newquay being in second place.

A great accolade for the Cornish seaside.

Suzi

UK
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Ives beats the best resorts in Spain

In fact the only beaches in the world that I prefer to St Ives' are the ones in Provence.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Ives beats the best resorts in Spain

And the only place that I think outdoes St Ives (but not by much) is in Spain where we've heard it referred to as 'Cornwall with sun''!

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
157 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Ives beats the best resorts in Spain

i have too say there are few places i would rather be on a sunny day than porth chaple beach

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Ives beats the best resorts in Spain

I don't like flying so haven't been abroad for years so it's nice to know that I am getting as good over here. I always thought that was the case but now it is confirmed :-D

Suzi

UK
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Ives beats the best resorts in Spain

Suzi, I don't like flying much either. I'm not scared of it but I find it uncivilised. But get this: train to Provence from where I live in London is just half an hour longer than train to St Ives. One change, same as to St Ives. It costs more, mind.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Ives beats the best resorts in Spain

Gosh, that's amazing, those journey times! Hard to believe you can get to another country so quickly.

Unfortunately, I don't do tunnels :-( I am frightened of flying and that's the main reason I wouldn't fly but I do agree that the whole airports thing is terribly uncivilised. I have flown but I would only do so if I absolutely had to. I hate tunnels and I hate bridges too, there are some scary things in this world. Don't get me wrong, amazing feats of engineering but not for me.

Suzi

St Ives
Level Contributor
385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Ives beats the best resorts in Spain

This shows why the TripAdvisor readers are correct http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qIkJBTrJ_M

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Ives beats the best resorts in Spain

Wow, finallly, I have had the time and my net connection has allowed me to view your YouTube footage. That is amazing Tony and it was lovely to see all the history you have put together, all the photographs and all the facts. It was also amazing to discover just how much I did/didn't know about St Ives. I'm going to send this link to my brother and his family (who are coming down to St Ives with me in the summer). He will love this and all the views and scenery, it is amazing. You have done Audrey proud, how could anyone not be delighted with the end result of this fabulous film? The photos of Cortina Coffee and Tea Garden too. It was still there in my first visit to St Ives. What wonderful images. Well done Tony, this is fantastic.

Suzi