We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can we find the best cream tea?

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Where can we find the best cream tea?

Hi there,

I'm looking for somewhere that does a perfect cream tea, triangle sandwiches, scones, tea in china etc. It's for my partners birthday so I'm looking for something quite special. Somewhere with a great view or in a castle type setting would be perfect. We're staying in Carbis Bay but will be driving round quite alot and will be Devon at some point too.

Done some research and these places came up. Any thoughts or new suggestions?

Hotel Tresanton, St.Mawe

The Falmouth Hotel, Cornwall

The Fowey Hotel

Primrose Cottage, Lustleigh, Devon

Otterton Mill, Budleigh Salterton

Southern Cross, Newton Poppleford

Fingle Bridge Inn, Devon

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Carbis Bay
Carbis Bay
St Ives, UK
Devon
Devon
England, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can we find the best cream tea?

You will find when you ask for a cream tea in Cornwall, what you will get is a scone, jam, clotted cream and a cup of tea. What you are after is an afternoon tea, so you need to specify this when ordering.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
preston
Level Contributor
206 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can we find the best cream tea?

best cream tea at The Retreat in Portreath,sea view too.

Mentioned in this post
Portreath
Portreath
Cornwall, UK
Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can we find the best cream tea?

Yeah I think I do mean afternoon tea, thanks! Will take a look at that thank you.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can we find the best cream tea?

Try Hells Mouth Cafe‎ on the B3301 out of Gwithan heading towards Portreath for Cornwall

For Devon, Go to Westward Ho on Golf Links Road on the right heading down towards to beach, the cafe is on the right same side as the chippy & the Nautilus Apartments. It is fabulous mmm

Mentioned in this post
Portreath
Portreath
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Braunton, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can we find the best cream tea?

From your original list, both the Hotel Tresanton and the Fowey Hotel would offer an excellent cream/afternoon tea. If the weather is nice, you can have your tea on the grounds right on the edge of the harbour at the Fowey Hotel - I truly can't think of a more delightful spot.

Solihull
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can we find the best cream tea?

You can do a lot worse than the conservatory tea room at the Carbis Bay Hotel! Not cheap but pretty stylish and spectacular views.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can we find the best cream tea?

Thanks everyone, the Carbis Bay on would be perfect! Thought I think the Fowey looks good too!

Mentioned in this post
Carbis Bay
Carbis Bay
St Ives, UK
Fowey
Fowey
Cornwall, UK
Harpenden, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can we find the best cream tea?

we had some lovely cream trees in a few national trust properties: freshly made scones still hot from oven. St Michaels Mount and one near penzance. Think they just to do the scones as part of cream tea so sandwiches would be extra. Entrance to their property to an ideal treat in my eyes!

9. Re: Where can we find the best cream tea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 09, 2011