We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Stay Parking - Policy Changes

St Ives
Level Contributor
385 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Long Stay Parking - Policy Changes

In the past week there has been a change in the way LS car park tickets work in St Ives.

The dissolution of Cornwall's district councils and creation of a new unitary authority called Cornwall Council has had a subtle but significant effect on weekly tickets for St Ives' Long Stay parks. Whereas the old weekly Rover ticket (£33) entitled parking in the LS parks and ANY of Penwith's LS parks this is no longer the case now Penwith is no more. This weekly ticket is now only good for the St Ives LS parks (Station, Trenwith, Barnoon, Island, and Park Avenue). Infuriatingly you can no longer use this one for Carbis Bay (or vice versa). This ticket can be bought at the machine (have plenty of £2 & £1 coins, no change given) or at one of the shiny, new Cornwall Council One Stop Shops (cheque or card). I suppose this will suffice for the majority of visitors but Carbis Bay has a St Ives postal address and surely should be in the St Ives group.

However there is another alternative. The weekly Cornwall Rover, costing £35 p.w. allows parking in any LS park in Cornwall, - Newquay, Padstow etc, space permitting of course, so this is the best one for people wanting to use both St Ives & Carbis Bay parks. But these cannot currently be bought from the machine, only at an OSS. Hopefully this will be only a temporary state of affairs as it is surely only a matter of re-programming the machines, plus a bit of new signage as there is no mention of this ticket on the charges boards.

The Tourist Information Centre say there are plans to make the ticket application process available on-line. This would be great, but I'm not holding my breath on this.

Anyone wanting a Cornwall Rover can get one at either the OSS at Hayle, Frank Johns Centre, 56 Queens Way, Cornwall TR27 4NL or the one at The St Ives TIC, The Guildhall Street-an-Pol, St Ives, Cornwall TR26 2DS. ** (see below.) But only in normal office hours ! If you are uncertain that you will be able to get there on time it's probably best to apply by post.

This policy has been very ill thought-out administratively, and hopefully the rough edges will soon be sorted out, especially the omission of Carbis Bay/Porthrepta from the St Ives group, which I hope is due to ignorance rather than a deliberate decision. I fear it may be the latter as Cornwall Council puts tourism disgracefully low on its list of priorities.

If I find out more I'll come back on here. For now, on behalf of all of us who do care about St Ives tourism I can only apologise for the dog's dinner of a policy currently presented to those on whom we so depend.

** Or at any of the other 20 One Stop Shops throughout Cornwall

Edited: 8:26 am, April 06, 2010
Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Stay Parking - Policy Changes

Thanks for the information PastyMan, this will be very useful for anyone coming to St Ives/Carbis Bay this summer. I will update my Top Questions with a link to this thread as well.

Cheers.

Suzi

Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Stay Parking - Policy Changes

So if I am arriving this Saturday around 6 PM for a 3 week stay, I should just pay for one night and then the next day go to one of these offices to get the all inclusive parking sticker as we will be traveling around during the day? We are in a cottage at #6 Back Lane. Where is the closest office for these tickets?

Thanks so much,

Judie

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,583 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Stay Parking - Policy Changes

St Ives one stop shop is situated in the Guildhall. It is open Monday-Friday 9-1 and 2-5, so you will need to pay for your parking for the Sunday as well before you can buy a ticket

Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Stay Parking - Policy Changes

Thanks and where is the Guildhall located?

St Ives
Level Contributor
385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Stay Parking - Policy Changes

Judie

The Guildhall is in Street an Pol, St Ives TR26 2DS. Basically it is in the town centre, near the mini-crossroads known as Library Corner. You will be able to walk there and go into the OSS but for arriving drivers it will be a problem as there is no legal parking outside.

These people are better off going to the Hayle OSS (Frank Johns Centre, 56 Queens Way, Hayle TR27 4NL) on the way to St Ives and buying the ticket there rather than trying to find the Guildhall and risking a parking ticket. What a palaver, let's hope this process goes on-line soon or more realistically they quickly make it possible to buy the Cornwall Rover through the machines.

I am writing to the local paper and will do my best to bring this farce to as many people's attention as possible. I instantly thought of Suzi when I rumbled the problem about Carbis Bay so hopefully we can get this changed too.

Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Stay Parking - Policy Changes

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your insightful reply and we are VERY much looking forward to our 3 weeks in St. Ives.

Judie

Durham City
Level Contributor
404 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Stay Parking - Policy Changes

Hi - I've seen that there is a one day 'rover' ticket available for all day parking. I've read these threads about the changes to policy - please could someone advise whether these one day rovers are still available, what the costs are and where I would get one from? Thank you! Joanne

St Ives
Level Contributor
385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long Stay Parking - Policy Changes

There is no such thing as a one-day river ticket.. A day session (8 am-8 pm) ticket costs £5.30, one for up to 4 hrs £3.90 and up to 2 hours £1.70**

If there was such a thing as a one-day rover it would have to cost £5.30 and it wouldn't carry any guarantee of there being a space in the car parks after the first one. If we assume no-one would want to go to 3 different car parks in the same day then you'd be better off structuring the day using 2 x 2 hour sessions (£3.40) and only 30p worse off buying separate 2 & 4 hour sessions, so I imagine that's why it's not offered.

** current prices at Railway Station Car Park, which I assume are consistent across Cornwall Council car parks.

9. Re: Long Stay Parking - Policy Changes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 19, 2011