We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Seafood/Fish

Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Seafood/Fish

I am wondering if you can buy fresh seafood/fish from the fisherman on the beaches or do you have to go to a store? We will be there for 3 weeks in April and would like to know.

Thanks so much.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Seafood/Fish

Hi

You can buy fish direct from the fisherman, however, you don't go and get it off the boats, he has a shop. Please see the link below for information:-

www.mstevensandson.co.uk/shop/index.php

There is a great range for sale but it depends what is caught on the day.

Suzi

St Ives
Level Contributor
385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Seafood/Fish

If at the end of your time here you want to take fresh crab home, ask that shop (at the top of Fish Steet) for some pasteurised, vacuum-packed white crab meat. Kept refrigerated it will easily last 3 weeks before you open it (then eat it within 2 days). It's not quite as good as fresh, unpasteurised but it's still wonderful and it's also easy to take aboard, as I've done countless times. If you want to take any brown meat home just ask for frozen, keep it as cold as you can on the journey home and then stick it in the freezer.

Edited: 6:07 am, February 23, 2010
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Seafood/Fish

Thanks so much for the link to m stevens and son. Are the prices on their website by the pound (16 oz.) or kilo?

Oxford
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Seafood/Fish

you'd be better off heading to Newlyn - it's not far and is where most of the st ives fishermen take their catch. much cheaper than stevensons too!

for crab & lobster go to w m harvey & sons or for fish there is a whole street to choose from - park by the harbour and you won't miss them! the guys in these shops either own the fishing boats or buy in bulk from the newlyn fishmarket and send their fish elsewhere in the country (including harrods and so on), as well as overseas. Don't be surprised to find the fish sat in skips on the concrete floor - but it all adds to the freshness and can be a very educational experience! some of the smaller fishermen in st ives will sell to you - particulary if the price at market is low, but most won't ! enjoy!

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Seafood/Fish

I think that, legally, you still have to sell in grams and kilograms over here although I'm not sure. I am a pounds and ounces girl myself. I would check. I think that shops are allowed to sell things to you in pounds and ounces but they have to tell you what you are buying in grams etc., as well.

The thing about getting your fish from this place is that there is a wonderful array of different Cornish fish to choose from. If you are staying in St Ives then it is right on your doorstep. The amount of different varieties of fish is fantastic and, for proof the fish is good, this firm supply to all the local restaurants.

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Seafood/Fish

Hi, I know this is a few weeks old, but I will be taking my portable bbq for using on the beach and fish was going to be used at least once. If I read stevens and sons website, they do not say that they are fishermen, they read more like a wholesaler or retail unit.

Are there no smaller shops about, or is Newlyn worth the 20 minute drive, if you get a better selection, and I assume fresher and more local, it sounds as though it is.

Mick

St Ives
Level Contributor
385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Seafood/Fish

Hmm..... I like Newlyn's fish and I like Stevens' fish - but which one's best ???

More seriously, there will be nothing in it for freshness. As Stevens will probably be landed in Newlyn before transportation to St Ives then Newlyn's will be fresher by a few hours but I certainly wouldn't back myself to be able notice the difference.

Pricewise Stevens will be more expensive but you won't need to drive a round trip of 22 miles.

Variety - dunno, whenever I've gone to Stevens there's been plenty of choice.

Does this help ? Probably not LOL. Either way it'll be great, hope the weather is suitable for your barbie !

Edited: 8:45 am, April 07, 2010
UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying Seafood/Fish

Thanks pastyman, I will have a big umbrella, so the bbq will go ahead regardless!!!

We stayed close to Porthmeor beach and there was a small fish shop close to there, is that Stevens, or is it somebody else?

Mick

St Ives
Level Contributor
385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying Seafood/Fish

Mick - that one near Porthmeor is the Matthew Stevens shop.

10. Re: Buying Seafood/Fish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 05, 2010