We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawkes Point Apartments, Carbis Bay

Surrey
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hawkes Point Apartments, Carbis Bay

Has anyone stayed at these apartments? I am thinking of booking for a week in the summer but was hoping for some feedback first! Are they in a good location? How near to the beach? I would be most grateful for any information, thanks.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawkes Point Apartments, Carbis Bay

Hi

I haven't stayed in these apartments but I do know of them having stayed in Carbis Bay many times. The Hawkes Point apartments look top quality, however, here are some things to bear in mind:-

You can get as good a quality apartment/house in Carbis Bay for much less money, it might not have as posh plates etc., but it will still be excellent quality.

These apartments are in a new development called "The Sands". If you have a look on Rightmove.co.uk you will see that part of the development is to be sold as shared ownership and a lot of the apartments are still for sale. This could be viewed as a good or bad point, dependant on what you want from a holiday. The apartment buildings look more like offices to me and are not somewhere I would consider staying for a relaxing holiday. They look lovely inside and I am sure they are very nice but that is just my opinion. I don't mean any offence to anyone, just saying what I think personally. One thing though, you will get outstanding views from there from Godrevy lighthouse right across to St Ives. Amazing views that you might find it hard to tear yourself away from.

The apartments are quite a walk up a very very steep hill from the beach, maybe a quarter of a mile or more. It is also about a similar distance up to where the shops are at Carbis Bay. There is a TESCO store further along the road towards St Ives which will cater for most of your food needs although I do tend to go to Morrisons at Penzance as I prefer the food from there.

Try having a look at www.carbisbayholidays.co.uk if you would like top notch accommodation with a price to match. They have some fantastic properties. Also www.aspects-holidays.co.uk have a number of great properties in Carbis Bay. These are just alternatives suggestions you might like to consider.

Carbis Bay is a fantastic location for a holiday and that's why I go several times a year. The small station for the branch line is close by meaning you can get to and from St Ives really easily although we do tend to walk along the coastal path to get to St Ives more than anything as the walk is gorgeous with amazing views. The coastal path to Lelant takes you to an excellent pub, The Badger, that does great food. If you take the train to St Erth, this connects with the main train line from Penzance so you can get many other places from here.

The Sands apartments aren't for me but Carbis Bay is a wonderful location with the added bonus of nearly all the accommodation having a parking space which isn't always the case in St Ives.

If you need any more information, please ask and I will do my best to help.

Suzi

Surrey
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawkes Point Apartments, Carbis Bay

Hi Suzi

Thanks very much for your very helpful and informative reply! I am now interested in some of the Carbis Beach Apartments on the Carbis Bay Holidays website. Do you know how they compare to the Hawkes Point Apartments? A fantasic sea view is a must, I don't mind a bit of an uphill walk but the closer to the beach the better!

Thanks

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawkes Point Apartments, Carbis Bay

I haven't stayed at the Carbis Beach apartments but they are definitely of the same standard. Also, all that separates you from the beach is a small road which goes go the beach car park and the Carbis Bay Hotel. We have stayed in the apartment block next to Carbis Beach apartments, Carrack Gladden, and the walk down to the beach is only short from there so even shorter from Carbis Beach Apartments. The Carbis Beach apartments look fantastic and will be somewhere I do stay in the future. I have two weeks in Carbis Bay in the summer and pay the most for my accommodation then. I have found a place that is a bit off the beaten track but close enough to everything there. This takes up most of my holiday budget. I then go again for a week in September and pay out quite a lot for the week then. I also, sometimes, go in December/January. That is why I haven't managed to stay in Carbis Beach apartments yet as I have to try and spread my cost a bit. They are higher up the price range but they are worth every penny in my opinion. They are definitely quality and somewhere that is in my list.

www.flickr.com/photos/suzian/2902029187/

If you look at the photo I have linked to, half way down on the right, those are Carbis Beach apartments, it would be difficult to get much closer to the beach there and get the quality of those apartments. They are lovely. They have good parking at the back with electric gates. The railway station is behind but won't disturb you at all. It is really good having the little station so close. We have got to Carbis Bay many times and not touched the car apart from to do some shopping for the week.

You will not be disappointed with the sea view, it is outstanding, you could just watch the goings on all day, it's fab, fishing boats, sea birds, gig racing, people on the beach, the occasional seal, it's great. You can walk for miles round there, up to Knills monument if you are energetic, all the way to the Hayle Estuary at Lelant, to St Ives and beyond, no need for the car. If you've got a distance to travel to get to Carbis Bay you will enjoy not using the car so much when you get there if you are anything like me.

If you want to know anything else, just ask, I go to Carbis Bay as many times as I can in the year so I know a reasonable amount about the place now. Glad I can help.

Suzi

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawkes Point Apartments, Carbis Bay

There are lots of excellent five star self catering accommodation in St Ives under the Speciality Lodgings section, it could be worth a look at this to compare it to Hawks Point.

Oxford
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawkes Point Apartments, Carbis Bay

Hi, I've stayed at The Sands and they are fantastic. It's all new, so everything - furniture, towels, bedding - all crisp and fresh! I've also stayed at Carbis beach apartments and there is no comparison - the sands are far superior internally. All of the apartments have good views, but we stayed in one on the ground floor - amazing .... fabulous garden at the front overlooking the sea and a fantastic, very large, patio at the back that seemed to have sunshine all day. Perfect! check out carbis bay retreats (www.carbisbayretreats.co.uk) - husband & wife team who manage apartments in Carbis Bay & they really looked after us - most of their properties are only 3* / 4* but they've got a couple of 5*'s and I'm sure the one at the Sands was called Sea Shells & had a 5* gold rating. We are definately going back there.

London
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawkes Point Apartments, Carbis Bay

I may be wildly late for your post... But I have just stayed at Hawke's Point, so I felt I should drop you a reply. The apartments are stunning. Floor-to-ceiling window sea views, Seboni bathroom products, plump dressing gowns, bedroom flatscreens, private parking etc. etc... Penthouse 25 was home for the week and we had the BEST time. Carbis Bay has a beautiful sandy beach. Plus there is a small train station just a stroll from Hawke's Point where you can take the 5-min train into St Ives. These are high spec apts, but seem to be much more reasonably priced than other similar rentals we researched around Cornwall. (The luxury was a little wasted on our 2-year-old, but the apts also provided all the baby paraphernalia we needed for her - which made our stay SO much easier. She had the time of her life and loved eating on the terrace & looking through the telescope out to sea etc.)

We're definitely going back, if that helps you make up your mind?

Bracknell
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawkes Point Apartments, Carbis Bay

I know exactly where these apartments are. We are staying here the 1st week August 2010. Fantastic apartments and not that old, I watched them being built, I think 2 years ago.

They are in a great position and over look the sea. Sited at bottom of road on left as you drive towards the station and sea. It is about a 5/10 minute walk to the beach.

This will be our 3rd year at Carbis Bay, if you have not been before then you don't know what your missing.

The beach is like a tropical paradise, total relaxation. There is steep steps down a pathway (coastal Path) to the quieter end of the beach or walk on down the hill (road) to the busier part with the shop and toilets.

At night time you can pay £4 for a family ticket and catch the train into St Ives, this is really enchanting. Lots of boutiques, restaurants, art galleries. You must walk down to Porthmeor Beach in St Ives and sit and watch the surfing, or take part. You will love Carbis Bay and St Ives Guarantee it.

Have a great holiday, let me know.

Oxford
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawkes Point Apartments, Carbis Bay

you will not be disappointed with your holiday ! I have stayed at lots of different 4 & 5* apartments in Carbis Bay over many years. The sands apartments are far superior quality to any other that has been built in recent years (definately better than carbis beach apartments compass point, etc. etc. ) both in terms of space & quality of fittings. the builders were certainly working to a very high spec! Furnishings are up to indivuals and I know the apartment that we have stayed in via carbis bay retreats (sea shells) is superb quality - with everything you could possibly need and more. if you get the weather it beats the carribean any day (and yes, I have been so can compare!)! and I agree re. the steps to the beach - they are just short walk away ! am sure you'll have an amazing time there ...

Bracknell
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawkes Point Apartments, Carbis Bay

August 2010, we have just arrived home after 1 week in Garden Apartment 8 in Hawkes Point.

The apartments are pure luxury with every little detail taken care of for a self catering holiday.

Comfortable, warm and luxurious, 5 star quality. Superb location, spectacular views overlooking St Ives. This is our 3rd year in Carbis Bay and we paid the same for this apartment as we did for one in Gwel Marten last year which was a great apartment but was so damp and smelly and was very dated. This is by far the very best you could stay in. You work so you can have a holiday so why not spoil yourselves, you have earned the luxury.

We took our daughter and her friend both 15 and they loved it here.

Charles the owner really went out of his way to make our stay perfect and he is very proud of the development and so he should be. We will be returning to Hawkes Point.

Highly recommend.

Birmingham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawkes Point Apartments, Carbis Bay

Hi, we're going later in August to garden apartment 7. Do you get sea views from the garden apartments?

Get answers to your questions about St Ives