We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Folley by Coastguards cottage

Which Port Isaac hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
co.durham, england
Level Contributor
414 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
The Folley by Coastguards cottage

Has anyone stayed here before. How good is the sea view as stated in the John Bray brochure. We stayed in Tamarisk this year and the sea view could only be seen if you stood on your tip toes in the kitchen.

surrey
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Folley by Coastguards cottage

John Bray has 2 properties called 'Folly'. Which one do you mean ? If you mean the ref 427 I think we may be doing a role reversal. I stayed there this year and am about to book Tamarisk for next year.

Assuming we are talking about the same Folly there is a great sea view from upstairs but only glimpses down stairs. Decent sea view from the garden. I really liked The Folly and we had a great holiday there but no dishwasher or wifi are deal breakers as we are going for a month this year.

Can I ask you about Tamarisk. How is the garage ? Is it easy to get in and out of. I'm not the greatest parker of cars ? Where did you stop to unload and transfer luggage to house.

Anymore questions about the Folly just ask.

consett
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Folley by Coastguards cottage

Hi, Thanks for info about Folley 427.

I'll post about Tamarisk then ask a few questions about the Folly.

Tamarisk is lovely and secluded, no-one overlooks you, two big gardens with a seating area and outside barbeque. Very large conservatory which is used as a dining area, good sized living room with log burner and wifi. Night storage heaters,Large double and same sized twin, large bathroom with a power shower and good sized kitchen with dishwasher. Washing machine is in cupboard in the bathroom. Now, the garage. Its across the road from the Repair Garage, I gather it used to be a garage at one time. The space allocated to tamarisk is at the back on the right hand side. My husband found it really difficult manoeuvring the land rover when the garage was full. he said he would have probably struggled with a normal sized car too. On the plus side it is secure. We had to take the roof box off and store it in the conservatory. As the property is down a side path, and no access for cars, we had to park up at the top of the lane and offload everything from there, leaving one person with the car while the rest of us carried our luggage in.

Tamarisk is larger the The Folly (well it does look bigger in the brochure)

I think there will be wifi next year as it does state in the brochure. Not bothered about a dishwasher. Now a few questions about the folly:

Does it have a washing machine?

Is downstairs roomy enough not to feel like your living in each others pockets? (There's only three of us and a dog)

Where is the bathroom and does it have a window?

Is there any storage space for coats, shoes, suitcases etc?

Is there enough furniture in the bedrooms to store your clothes?

Does the garden have a BBQ?

Does the garden get enough sunshine?

If we cant get the car in the garage is there enough space outside to leave it there?

What heating is there?

We didnt look at the Folly, but from pics in the brochure and web it does look smaller than Tamarisk and is 60pound dearer too.

Thankyou.

co.durham, england
Level Contributor
414 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Folley by Coastguards cottage

Sorry, I replied under my hubbies name :-)

surrey
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Folley by Coastguards cottage

Hi

Thanks for the info onTamarisk.

There is a wahsing machine in the Folly.

You can't put your car in the garage as it is used for storage. You park in front of the garage door as access is not needed.

The garden is more of a terrace/patio. What you see in the photo is it. It was a sunny garden and we ate lunch and dinner in the sun. I don't recall there being a BBQ.

The bathroom is downstairs (no bath, only shower). It does have a window.

There are hanging pegs in the inner hall for coats. Both bedrooms have plenty drawesr and the master has a hanging rail. The hanging rail and drawer in the master are a bit strange, over a large shelf that goes over the stairwell. Difficult to describe but fine. Both bedrooms are big enough to leave suitcases etc without tripping over them.

It was warm when we were there so didn't pay much attention to the heating but I do recall wall mounted radiators.

The downstairs living area is all one room and although not huge it is big enough for 3. We are a 3 too and didn't feel cramped as it is very bright and airy. .

My son is only 7 and when we realised that his bedroom was downstairs with a door leading outside I was a bt worried but got over it after the first night.

I summery I would say the folly is a holiday let and not a house you would live in. It is very comfortable and I would go back but wouldn't want to stay there for a month. One point to note. The bed is a SUPERking size which I didnt realise until the night before we left home and had to ring around my friends looking for Super king size bedding.

co.durham, england
Level Contributor
414 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Folley by Coastguards cottage

Thanks for that, we are having a debate over which one to choose now.

Tamarisk has a better garden area and BBQ but the garage situation was really awkward. I have asked the letting company if we could have a spot outside, but each one is allocated to different cottages, all by different lettings agencies!

Tamarisk is a proper home from home, I think after a month, you wouldn't want to leave!

If you need any more info on Tamarisk, just ask. x

One more thing, did The Folly havw WiFi>

Edited: 5:13 am, September 07, 2013
surrey
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Folley by Coastguards cottage

The Foly did not have wifi but it was not advertised with wifi which I note it is now. I also saw it has TV x 2 which it didn't when we were there so I guess there has been a few updates since June.

Over the last 5 years I think we have stayed in most holidays lets in Port Isaac with parking !!!! lol If parking is high on your list have you looked at 'Fraggle Rock' on with Cornish Cottages or 'Driftwood' - private let. These are our 2 favourties Both are lovely and nicer than photos show. I would love to stay in either for a month but both have at least one week already booked. Worth a look.

I'm in 2 minds about Tamarisk due to the parking. When I arrive I'll be on my own with my son and it doesn't sound like that is ideal for unloading the car.

co.durham, england
Level Contributor
414 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Folley by Coastguards cottage

Thanks, The website has been changed and it now does not have wi'fi!!!!!!! I've talked myself out of The Folly to be honest, so have re-booked Tamarisk, my son loved the garden, we loved the BBQ area and there was two bikes and a unicycle in the shed!!! We did try it lol, but kept falling off.

If you will be on your own with your son Tamarisk is not an ideal situation unpacking your car but if he is helpful and not too much of a handful it will be fine. We parked our car at the top of the lane for nearly an hour one day and nothing was said to us by any neighbours.

Fraggle Rock looked perfect, however they do not accept dogs :-(

Good Luck x

surrey
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Folley by Coastguards cottage

I have also booked Tamarisk now. I was worried your booking might have been one of my weeks but we obviously dont clash. I am there so often I think it would be cheaper to buy a house !!!!

co.durham, england
Level Contributor
414 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Folley by Coastguards cottage

We cant have it as the owner is coming over from Australia and wants the same week as us....so The Folley it is then :-/

co.durham, england
Level Contributor
414 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Folley by Coastguards cottage

Had a lovely stay here, very quiet area and that superkingsize bed, well just heaven. How did you enjoy tamarisk.

Get answers to your questions about Port Isaac