We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip or overnight stay for people in 20's??

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
334 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day trip or overnight stay for people in 20's??

Hi all,

I'm planning on visiting Port Isaac in late January/early Feb 2010, with one or two friends. We're in our mid to low 20's and love culture, history, quaint villages, pubs with charm, friendly locals, good beer and so on. We'll be in England for about 10 days. And yes, I am a big fan of Doc Martin... Just loved the scenery in it!

1. What's the best way to get to Port Isaac?

2. Would you recommend stopping there for a night or two or just doing a day trip. a) If overnight, where's a safe, clean place to stay that's not too pricey? b) If a day trip, where's a good place to travel from?

3. What are the top sites and attractions in and around Port Isaac?

Thank you so much!

Beth :)

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip or overnight stay for people in 20's??

Hi Beth

Will you have a car or be using public transport?

Car would be best but depending on your answer,i can give you some info on your questions.( bit short of time right now!!)

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip or overnight stay for people in 20's??

Hi again

Just re-read your post. You're coming in the middle of winter. Port Isaac will be virtually deserted then. Much of it is made up of holiday cottages and second homes all of which stand empty in the winter making Port Isaac very very quiet. Not much will be open in all of the smaller tourist type places at that time of year. Things start opening up at Easter normally. Are you def leaving your glorious Aussie summer to come here in the middle of our miserable winter?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip or overnight stay for people in 20's??

oh no! all shut shop? :(

yep will definitely be there at the end of january until about february 8... i hope your winters not that bad. cold and snowy is not so much something we get over in my side of the globe, so it will likely entertain us.

about transport... public transport would be best. i'm not sure if i can hire a car being under 25... I imagine it would be faster getting around on public transport perhaps and definitely easier for parking...

thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip or overnight stay for people in 20's??

Hi Beth

From what I've read, the likelihood of snow in Cornwall is minimal; it will be cold in late January/early February, but (from what I've experienced) not really that much colder than Adelaide in winter (Jaysus, but Adelaide is cold in winter!!!! - and HOT in summer LOL). I was in London in mid-late March last year and there was a little snow (a very little).

The last time I was in Cornwall, we relied on public transport, but stayed in Truro and used the train to get to Falmouth but they are much larger places than Port Isaac. I don't know how easy it will be to get there without a car, but the locals will be able to advise you.

My sister and are I staying in Port Isaac for a week in early October this year and, to put it very mildly, we can't bloody-well wait! We are also serious DM fans but we didn't choose to stay in Port Isaac because of that - we just fell in love with the photos on the net and the fact that the house we've rented has no stairs LOL

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip or overnight stay for people in 20's??

no stairs hahah! nice one!! sounds great :)

yeah i think i can manage a bit of cold weather. well, hopefully port isaac won't all be closed, because i'm still keen to check it out!

thanks for your help. enjoy your trip!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,558 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip or overnight stay for people in 20's??

It is rare to have snow here, but we had it this year in February, and the winters are always cold, specially along the coast.

Maybe you would be better staying somewhere like Padstow or Newquay where it will still be quiet, but not as dead as Port Isaac will be that time of year.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip or overnight stay for people in 20's??

Hi Beth

I would agree with Annabelle, it would make more sense to stay in Newquay(party capital of Cornwall) or Padstow and do a day trip on the bus to P.Isaac.

Bus timetable here http://www.westerngreyhound.com/index.php If you were to stay in Newquay (train station there),you would need a bus to either Wadebridge or Camelford and then bus to P.Isaac, it will take about 1.5 hours with one change of bus, but i guess this is way to much detail at this stage.

Will you be arriving in Cornwall by train?

Braunton, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip or overnight stay for people in 20's??

Just for your info, they're filming in Port Isaac for the next season of Doc Martin at the moment!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip or overnight stay for people in 20's??

Oooooh, do you have any idea how much this news makes my heart pound with joy????? I was fearful season 4 wouldn't come to fruition, even though all reports said filming would be around now. Given past history, do you have any idea of when it might be on tele? We arrive in the UK on 27th September and will be there until 8th November, so it would be the icing on the cake if the Doc was on tele at the same time :-) If not, I'll just have to wait until the DVD comes out, because I'm sure it'll be a long time after that before it's on tele here :-( I'm hoping and praying that Martin and Louisa, after some more bumps on the road, finally DO get together :-)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip or overnight stay for people in 20's??

thanks everyone! and yay for a 4th season!!

I guess i'll be getting to Corwwall by train, as I doubt I'll be hiring a car! How long does it take to get from the bottom of England to the top?

I like the idea of staying at Newquay or somewhere? Much sites, etc to see and do around there?