We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday in polperro late june

Dublin
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family holiday in polperro late june

We are a family of 5 travelling to Cornwall for the first time. Having searched the net we are drawn to Polperro and Looe area. We are ideally looking for accommodation that would suit a family but not too remote. I have looked at seaview and does look good but is there anything else similar to this in these areas with self catering cottages on site. We are really looking forward to our holiday but im getting a bit googly eyed looking at all the places on the internet!! any recommendations or tips greatly received.

Thanks...

Bawtry, Doncaster
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday in polperro late june

Having taken plenty of family holidays in Polpperro village over the last 20years i can recommend it , theres plenty of cottages to rent, holiday cottages polperro is usually worth a look its based in polperro and the properties are quite good , ring and speak to giles if you havent booked yet he could tell you what cottages are available and any other questions etc (is parking included etc), end of June is festival time in polperro so cottages may be scarce, if you do go to polperro hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holiday in polperro late june

Killigarth Manor is a lovely place to visit most of Cornwall,

My family stayed at a lovely gold lodge great views we booked direct with owners at tallandvalley lodge

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday in polperro late june

Hello,

my family stayed at Killigarth Manor a lovely site for all family, my children enjoyed it especially freddy fox.

a nice place to be for visiting all places of Cornwall

booked direct with owners at talland valley lodge who are very helpfull

Have a nice holiday we did

stirling
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holiday in polperro late june

Having just returned from Polperro with our family I would not recommend it

you would be much better on the North Coast around St Ives the beaches are better and you can access better places to eat and better food shopping. Parking in Polperro is in the public car park 20 minutes walk from the town up a hill. This is not fun with 3 suitcases. People will tell you aabout luggage transport it is unreliable. My advice is give this village a miss.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family holiday in polperro late june

Each to their own but to dismiss somewhere like Polperro because the carpark isn't right in the village is crazy. If you had done some research before booking, you would have seen that the village sits in a steep-sided ravine, thus, the carpark can only be where it is. As for places to eat, there are loads of good cafes and restaurants in the village and five pubs, all of which are good. There's just one small general store plus a bakers, a butchers and a few other stores - did you expect to find an Asda in Polperro?

It's nothing like 20 mins walk from the carpark to the village centre - more like 10 at a walking pace and the hill is shallow, not at all steep. There is a horse-drawn taxi service from the carpark to the village centre but this may not have been running yet so early in the season.

Polperro beach is shingle and small, only accessible at low tide but the beach at Looe four miles away is vast. Just because you failed to do any research is no reason to dismiss Polperro.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family holiday in polperro late june

We have just returned from a four night stay in Looe Bay Holiday Park. I strongly recommend staying around this area as Looe is a lovely place - great for shopping and boasts some stunning coastal walks and fantastic places to get food and icecream. A nice, cheery town. When we drove through Polperro we got stuck along the narrow streets in our car and were wondering if it was one way when we met another car. It could've been the UKs first drive-through village, as we sat in the car with the icecream bar centremetres away from our hands! There wasn't much in Polperro but definately stay near Looe. Not sure if you'd want to stay in the Caravan Park though as we found it too small with the three of us, let alone five. But apparently the Talland Bay Hotel near Looe is supposed to be nice.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family holiday in polperro late june

I stayed in Polperro for a week last October and *loved* it. While a previous poster thought the car park inconvenient, I thought one of the best things about Polperro was that there *weren't any cars!*

I parked my car and enjoyed not dealing with it (wrong side of the road driving and all that). One day I walked to Looe and took the bus back. Another day I walked the other way and back.

There are quite a few restaurants and pubs in Polperro but it doesn't have that tacky tourist feel that Looe does. While I admit to not having had the time to venture further into Cornwall, I'd highly recommend Polperro.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family holiday in polperro late june

Hi Gabby ( fellow Moonraker!)

There's a sign at the entrance to the village by the carpark warning motorists that to all intents and purposes, unless you are staying in one of the village accommodations, that is as far as you can go in a car. Having said that, the only "streets" in the village where a car won't fit are Mill Hill, the Warren and a street whose name escapes me close to the bottom of Talland Hill.

There is quite a bit to see and do in the village, you just need to know where to find it.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family holiday in polperro late june

Some people will prefer Looe, some Polperro. One is a town, the other a village, so those looking for more to do and a livelier place will prefer Looe, othere looking for a small friendly village will prefer Polperro. Each to their own, both are great places to stay and will always attract different people including some who have chosen the wrong one for them.

Lake District...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family holiday in polperro late june

Make sure you visit Polruan, Fowey, and especially Lerryn whilst you're in the area. I'm glad you chose to visit this part of Cornwall. In my opinion, it's the prettier side of Cornwall. The other side has bigger beaches, but is spoiled by tourism.

Get answers to your questions about Polperro