We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polperro in June

Wellington, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Polperro in June

Hello All

My partner and I are spending a week in Cornwall in the second week of June. I am keen to stay in Polperro for the week but worried that it may be overrun by tourists (like me!). Does anyone know how busy it is in Cornwall at that time of the year?

We were originally planning the trip for October when it would be quieter but the chance of cheaper airfares means June.

We will be touring Cornwall through the daytime so I guess it will be mainly the early mornings and evenings when we will be out and about in Polperro.

Look forward to any replies......

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,583 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Polperro in June

It shouldn't be too busy in June as it is not in the main school holiday period, although you may find there are quite a few more mature visitors. Hopefully you wil be lucky with the weather as the last few years June has certainly been glorious.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Polperro in June

Hi there

I stay in Polperro at least once a month and it's never that busy in June - July and August are the crazy months when the village is full with coach parties.

There's plenty to see and do in the village - great restaurants, pubs, the Heritage museum, shops, cafes and galleries plus of course, the pretty fishing harbour and a lovely atmosphere.

Here's a link to a great website for general info and one to photos of the village as taken by me..

www.polperro.org

flickr.com/photos/…

Wellington, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Polperro in June

Thanks for your replies - and the good news it won't be too crowded. We are hoping for some nice weather but will cope with whatever Cornwall throws at us! (wellington seems to have similar summertime weather). Thanks for the links, it is such a beautiful village. We have booked a gorgeous cottage on the Warren and now its just a matter of countdown to Cornwall.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Polperro in June

Hi again

Just be aware that the Warren is very narrow, maybe five feet in places so there is no motor access. Some of the cottages have reserved parking, but this is almost invariably way back up at the top of the village and would involve a 15 min walk with your bags. For those cottages that don't have parking spaces, you'll have to leave the car in the central carpark. There is a "taxi" service from the carpark down to the doctor's surgery via horse and cart and electric tram but that still leaves a bit of a jaunt to the Warren.

This photo doesn't show the Warren, but gives you an idea of how narrow Polperro is, parts of the Warren are narrower than this.

flickr.com/photos/…

Wellington, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Polperro in June

Thanks for the information. The cottage we are staying at has given us some information about parking the car at the main carpark and walking down, also the contact number for the gentleman who will transport your bags. I have prepared my partner for the fact that we will have a bit of a walk each day to the car - the electric tram sounds good though.

I saw some videos of cars trying to drive through the 'streets' of Polperro - very amusing!

Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
11 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Polperro in June

I'm glad you asked as we will be in Polperro late June and were wondering the very same thing. Not sure why I chose Polperro, probably by scanning this site, looked so good and sure it will be great crowdy or not. We are using the stay as a base to see this part of Cornwall although only have 3 nights before moving to the West Coast.

Hope you enjoy you day trips also. We want to go as far as Mevagissey, doesnt look far on the Map or through AA planner, will just have to see when we get travelling.

PS: Enjoyed you links GB

Wellington, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Polperro in June

Kia ora trans Tasman cousin,

I think much like you we just loved the look of the village and close proximity of the sea and coastal walks - the quintessential Cornish fishing village. Enjoy your visit.......

Braunton, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Polperro in June

Polperro to Mevagissey is a good trip. You can go via the Bodinnick Ferry, then through Fowey, or miss out on the ferry and go via Lostwithiel. I love crossing the ferry though bear in mind this is £3.00 for a single trip (driver and one passenger). Probably worth going one way and coming back the other!

Reading
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Polperro in June

Polperro is a beautiful village - it's just a shame it's one of the most unfriendly places I've ever visited - starting from the agressive car park attendants on the hill to the 'serve the locals first' pubs in the village.

Edited: 8:11 am, March 26, 2011
Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Polperro in June

I have been to Polperro twice, and I didn't find it particularly unfriendly. Maybe the poster who said this caught the village on a bad day. By the way, there are some lovely spots along the coast near Polperro - to get some ideas, see here: http://postcards-pfte.blogspot.com/

Get answers to your questions about Polperro