We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seriously not impressed with Penzance

Which Penzance hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Seriously not impressed with Penzance

Have just returned from a short weekend. We visited a number of places which were very nice. However, Penzance was quite an eye opener to say the least . We all thought it was absolutely dreadful and I could not wait to leave. Its a shame as I imagine years ago it must have been a nice holiday resort. It almost as if all the people you would not want to live in a place caught a train to Cornwall and got off at the last stop which was Penzance. And I thought Torquay had its problems.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

I drove past it too last week whilst working down there. It looks like a pretty standard new store to me, what's wrong with it?

penzance
Level Contributor
172 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

Think he's meaning that most people from penzance don't want another supermarket,especially when there will be 3 within half a mile of each other,yes it will make a good price war but why couldn't we of had a cinema with restaurants and shops,somewhere for penzance folk to go in the evenings perhaps....anyway I'm sure my thoughts will cause a further discussion

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

perhaps because the supermarket bought the land, and nobody wanted to buy it to build a leisure complex?

UK
Level Contributor
869 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

Penzance for us worked quite well. There was 3 of us which included our 2 year old son on a push chair. It was like our hub to travel to Marazion, Minack Theatre and St Ives.

We were quite pleased to see the promenade, the pebble beach and the kids play area at the end. However it is not as lively as St Ives but I think thats where its charm is as it is much more quietier. Also there was not much steep areas to walk where we moved around.

I can understand a bit of what treetops41 (OP) is trying to say but I think its not as bad as that.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

Penzance is fab. I go quite a lot and love the shops up Causewayhead and some of the quirkier shops down Market Jew Street. There are some interesting pubs and eateries, such as The Admiral Benbow and The Alverene. There is a farmer's market on Saturdays (not sure if it's every Saturday). I love the Seasalt shop and looking in the window of Pebbles (handmade jewellery). There is a shop selling handcrafted wooden items too. There are so many different shops if you look properly. You get glimpses of the sea from all around town and you could walk right along the front to the fabulous shell shop and further along to Jubilee pool and The Promenade. I've never felt threatened when I was there and have never noticed lots of Eastern Europeans but it wouldn't concern me if I did. They are extremely polite hardworking people so you should ask yourself why you feel threatened. Clearly, you have a perception that is incorrect. A number of shops have closed down in Penzance so I would encourage people to go. They won't open up again as anything else unless we go and shop there.

Suzi

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,545 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

I'm planning on visiting Cornwall next summer/early autumn.

Would you recommend it as a good place to base myself to visit the local area and to get to and from the Scilly Isles?

I am planning on coming by train or possibly flying down to Exeter or Newquay. ;-)

P.S. I noticed that some people have commented on Eastern Europeans. Are these people complaining about them scared that they are here to work and pay taxes and to do the jobs that the lazy English refuse to do?

And contrary to popular belief, they do pay their taxes, and often speak better English than the natives! ;-)

Edited: 1:45 pm, September 09, 2013
Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

Matt 1376. Penzance is an excellent touring base, especially if you want to use public transport. If you fly to Newquay you will find it very awkward to get to Pz unless you have a car. Coming by train takes time but gets you direct to the place you want to be.

You may find you get more replies if you repost as a new thread

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

Matt, there is a little map here http://www.scillyonline.co.uk/travel.html which shows routes to the Scilly Isles. As Sandy suggests, train to Penzance is a good bet. Also, a new post is a good idea for questions like yours.

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
2 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

You have to go to Penzance in the right season. In summer it's more crowded but it's definetly more buzzing,and there aren't as many as in St.Ives

I personally like Penzance. It's a lesser known St Ives,but it's each to their own. I thought Sharm El Sheikh was repulsive!

Hayle, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1,077 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

Sadly you are correct. At one time it was filled with good shops,an interesting place. But since the three major supermarkets and the chain pub has opened none survive,even the fuels stations have gone........Have good memories of the town but seldom if ever go there unless we are eating out.