We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seriously not impressed with Penzance

Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
636 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Seriously not impressed with Penzance

Have just returned from a short weekend. We visited a number of places which were very nice. However, Penzance was quite an eye opener to say the least . We all thought it was absolutely dreadful and I could not wait to leave. Its a shame as I imagine years ago it must have been a nice holiday resort. It almost as if all the people you would not want to live in a place caught a train to Cornwall and got off at the last stop which was Penzance. And I thought Torquay had its problems.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
51. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

I live in Bedfordshire, in the heart of market gardening/flower nursery country, so I do know what you mean. We've always had migrant labour of one sort or another. I've never felt threatened, though. Bad of me, I was being a little flippant about the day trippers, I suppose I was trying to make the point that one shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Mentioned in this post
Bedfordshire
Bedfordshire
England, UK
England, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

Just to reiterate - I have stayed in Penzance on my own (lone female) and have always felt safe and welcome. I think it is about being polite to people in the first place and then using a bit of common sense, such as using taxis after dark. I'm coming back to Cornwall in May and I am really looking forward to another holiday in my favourite county.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

Even my small, country market town has its share of immigrants, mainly of Balkan origin, and mostly people who have left their homelands to try to improve their lives by doing work that none of us lot would even consider doing. But when you come from a country where you have nothing, anything has got to be better.

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
54. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

JLH22, I too will be back in May, and hopefully again in July.

GB, I know our opinions have differed in the past, but on this occasion I agree with you completely.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

Having spent last week I Penzance, I have mixed feelings about the place. It is a working town, NOT a tourist attraction like St Ives. This means that the pubs/restaurants/shops have to cater for everyone, not just tourists. This explains the rather jumbled selection of shops, including a huge Sports Direct and a rather poor attempt at a shopping centre. Overall we were made to feel welcome by everyone we met and at no stage felt threatened by the local teenagers or migrant workers. Not sure I would rush to return though, as there wasn't a whole lot to do although it is out of season.

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall
Level Contributor
13 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

It takes time to get to know Penzance. It is one of the safest places in England (take a look at the actual figures) It is however not a pretty tourist trap but a real town. It has an active social scene that puts places like St Ives with all it's second homes to shame. It has quirky interesting shops & cafe's, great pubs (If you avoid the main street) a bracing front to walk along, a great museum, some superb Georgian buildings thriving art scene and good transport links which make it one of the best places to base a visit to West Cornwall.

To sum up .... for beaches, views and scented candles try St Ives ... for culture, history & an social scene try Penzance.

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Indiana
Level Contributor
390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

Avoiding the "main street" is good advice under most circumstances whether your're in London, Paris, or Penzance. ;)

I love the shops on Chapel Street and the Turks Head is probably my all time favorite pub.

The chain pub on Market Jew St (Alverton?), not so much.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chapel Street
Chapel Street
154 Reviews
Penzance, UK
The Turks Head
The Turks Head
779 Reviews
Penzance, UK
58. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:07 pm, August 06, 2013
Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

You think the Council will listen to us? Have you not SEEN the Sainsbury's?

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Seriously not impressed with Penzance

Why, whats wrong with it? Last time I drove past it was under construction a couple of weeks ago, so I doubt many people reading this will have seen it yet.