We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penzance short trip - suggest must see places

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Penzance short trip - suggest must see places

Hi , I will be with my friends in Penzance on 6th April.

1) We are planning to go to Lands End and Minack theatre same day. Any suggestions which place would be more beautiful during sunset? and how much time it would take by bus?

2) Suggest some other places to visit. I would prefer natural beauty not museums.

Thanks,

Abi

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
948 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penzance short trip - suggest must see places

Hello. Not sure which would be more beautiful, though Land's End generally is a bit of a let down, whereas Porthcurno (where Minack is) is always stunning.

Bus takes about 40 mins to Porthcurno, from memory, then another 10-15 to Lsnd's end. Have a look on www.travelinesw.co.uk for exact times and journey planner. The buses may determine where you see the sunset from as not sure how late they will go on that day.

For other places - you cannot go wrong with clifftops around Porthcurno. I know you said you weren't bothered by museums but if the weather is too bad for walking then the Porthcurno Telegraph Museum is excellent and handy for Minack.

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penzance short trip - suggest must see places

Cape Cornwall gets good sunsets too ... and is worth a visit anyway. Also Sennen Cove.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penzance short trip - suggest must see places

Hi there

St Michael's Mount would fit the bill, it's at Marazion, a couple of miles east from Penzance town centre. You can walk across the causeway at low tide or take a little boat if the tide's in. I agree about Lands End, yes, the views are great but the place itself is a glorified, over-commercialied mini theme park, there expressly to relieve visitors of as much money in as short a time as possible, so I always favour the wildness of Cape Cornwall but I doubt you can get there on a bus.

Porthcurno is stunning, the views of the beach from the Minack could be anywhere in Greece, white sand and turquoise waters.

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157625230154186

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157625230154186

Edited: 7:01 am, March 16, 2012
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penzance short trip - suggest must see places

I don't mind Lands End myself - always liked walking round the cliffs round there.

Having said that, Porthcurno is certainly the better option - stunning coastline. One problem though is the times of the buses - as I found last year, they can be 'few and far between' and generally finish early.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penzance short trip - suggest must see places

Hi there,

the village of Mousehole about 2 miles south of Penzance is also worth a visit. Very pretty and full of history. Faces East though so not good for sunsets.

Jake

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Penzance short trip - suggest must see places

Shabba, I agree, the scenery at Lands End is lovely, it's just a shame that all that other rubbish is there to spoil such a beautiful place.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Penzance short trip - suggest must see places

Re the original question about sunset views...

You won't be able to see the sunset from the Minack Theatre itself - The theatre is halfway down the side of the cliff and it faces roughly SSE. You'll be able to see the sun set from the Minack car park or, a better view, from the headland called Pedn men an mere which is just west of the Minack.

Sennen Cove usually has good sunsets and you could walk from there up the cliff path towards Lands End.

Another great place for viewing the west Penwith scenery at sunset, or any other time of day, is from the top of Chapel Carn Brea, the high moorland hill just east of the B3306, not far from Land's End airport. It's not a tough climb, only takes about 20 minutes, and there's a carpark at the start of the upward path.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Penzance short trip - suggest must see places

For a great sunset on a short trip that is accessible from Penzance, I would suggest St Ives Porthmeor beach. It is not the quietest of locations but you will get a stunning sunset and you can walk out on the South West Coast Path towards Man's Head if you want a bit of peace and quiet. The coastal views there are stunning and it is on the bus route from Penzance.

Suzi

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
948 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Penzance short trip - suggest must see places

I think Suzi's suggestion is a good one - 6th April is the first day the 300 bus runs so you could get that from Land's End to St Ives (check all times & connections first! www.travelinesw.co.uk) From St Ives you can get back to PZ by frequent bus or scenic train via St Erth.

10. Re: Penzance short trip - suggest must see places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:42 am, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Penzance