We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From where?

Which Penzance hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norway
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
From where?

I want to walk parts of South west coast path in june. I will arrive from Norway, but I wonder if I should take train og bus from London or from Bristol to Penzance. Any good advice?

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From where?

Hi, I travel London to Cornwall frequently and would advise you take the train from London (Paddington) to Penzance Cornwall. If you check out this website you may also get a good deal.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/

If you know your dates/times....you can enter your details, then select "single" journeys and save money. But that is up to you :)

Enjoy your walking this part of the world is stunning and i've also walked all the SW coast line so know you will have a lovely time. :) Caz

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From where?

Hi there

Go straight through to Cornwall from London unless there is a particular reason why you want to go to Bristol first. I have walked most of the southern section of the pathway so what sections do you intend to walk?

Tintagel
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: From where?

Hi there,

Have you thought about which section(s) of the path you want to walk?? How long are you here for??

There are many different sections of the path giving you totally different coastline experiences. Have a look at the following websites for information on the South West Coastal Path.

www.swcp.org.uk

www.southwestcoastpath.com

For example: Train to Penzance, walk the path aound the Lizard peninsular to Falmouth (3-5 days), train/bus to your next destination.

Train to Exeter, bus to Bude, walk the path to Newquay (5-7 days), train/bus to your next destination.

Hope this helps, let us know if you want any more information.

Norway
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From where?

Bristol is an alternativ airport til London because SAS also have direct connection between Oslo and Bristol three days a week. But it seems clear to me that it is easier to reach Penzance from London than from Bristol. Am I right?

I am planning my route these days. I will walk four days ( 80 til 120 km) and I WILL(!) visit Lands End og Penzance. And I dont seek the easiets part of the path...

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From where?

Hi there

Well, Bristol is 100 miles closer to Penzance than London is but if you took the train from Bristol, in most cases, according to www.thetrainline.com, you will have to change and wait for connections, sometimes at Newton Abbot and sometimes at Plymouth. Is there much difference in the airfare from Oslo to Bristol or London? - that might be a deciding factor.

Norway
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From where?

I must avoid to use too much time on travelling, and I have to reach Penzance the same day I start from Norway. The flight to Bristol arrives Bristol airport 20.40 in the evening, og that means I have to travel through the night to reach Prenzance. If I use Heathrow og London city airport, I will arrive reach Penznace(or another station in Cornwall) early in the evning. I think I prefer this solution....

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From where?

"you will have to change and wait for connections"

GB, so will the OP if he flies to Heathrow as he will have to take a bus or train or tube to Paddington to get the Penzance train. I would advise he takes the flight to Bristol, apart from the fact its a bit closer, Bristol airport is simply a much more pleasant experience than Heathrow.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From where?

"The flight to Bristol arrives Bristol airport 20.40 in the evening, og that means I have to travel through the night to reach Prenzance. If I use Heathrow og London city airport,"

Looks like our posts crossed, yes in that case Heathrow is probably the way to go, if money is no big issue then you will save some hassle by getting the HEX to Paddington and the Penzance train will leave from a platform right close by.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From where?

Hello Joe

According to the trainline, some trains from Bristol to Penzance have as many as three changes, Newton Abbot, Plymouth and Liskeard. Obviously, it would depend upon which train Knut catches but taking the tube to Paddington from LHR is a darn sight easier than a potential 3 train changes, switching platforms plus all the possible waiting around.

However, if for any reason the airfare from Oslo to Bristol was significantly cheaper than that to LHR, it might just have swung his decision.....

Norway
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: From where?

Thanks for all your good advice. They are helpful. If I also can give me som good tips ( is that the right english word?) for a 4 days walk which include Lands End and Penzance, I would be very happy.

Last year I walked from Aviemore to Braemar and towards to Aberdeen, and in september I had a four days walk along Offas dike path. Hope the South west coast path will give me the same good feeling...