We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post GCSE trip to Newquay

London
Level Contributor
62 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Post GCSE trip to Newquay

My daughter and 11 friends want to go to Newquay for a week after they finish their GCSEs. Although the idea fills me with dread, I don't want to deprive her. She's talking of staying either at Smuggler's Cove or Sunnyside campsites. Does anyone have any experience/advice to share? Would they be better staying somewhere closer to the town centre? What about the Surf Lodges? It would be good if they had some sort of self-catering and at least I'd know they wouldn't be living on junk food!

She57

1. Re: Post GCSE trip to Newquay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:25 pm, March 07, 2007
London
Level Contributor
62 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Post GCSE trip to Newquay

Point taken Joeintheuk.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Post GCSE trip to Newquay

Would anywhere let 12 unaccompanied 16 year olds book in ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Post GCSE trip to Newquay

Both my two boys went to Newquay post GCSEs they came back unscathed! There are a lot of young people of that age there at that time -to be honest the food was the least of my worries!

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,530 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Post GCSE trip to Newquay

When my daughter wanted to do a similar thing, 3 years ago, it was at a time when Newquay had a really bad reputation. Cab drivers picking them up to take to clubs etc. I hope it has improved. Englishrose boys are a little different than girls and concerns are different. Anyway we managed to convince them to go to a Youth Hostel in Littlehampton. At least there we knew there was a warden who would be sort of keeping an eye on them. I hope it all works out well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Post GCSE trip to Newquay

Concerns are different for boys yes but no less worrying. Its true they are vulnerable in a different way. In my experience girls are more sensible and look out for each other more than boys - boys are also more likely to get attacked and head for the drink and drugs scene. I atually worry about my daughter less than my sons as she has got more sense than the two of them put together! She did nt go to Newquay she went to Kos with her friends- at least Newquay is in UK!

plymouth
Level Contributor
113 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Post GCSE trip to Newquay

if they stick together and to the main streets they will be fine. Newquay can be quite violent at times, usually in the summer but most fights are just drunken guys being prats.

Kingsbridge, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Post GCSE trip to Newquay

The camp sites are out of town and so getting home at night could be a problem and they can be rowdy as geared for youngsters. My daughter and mates went down a few years ago post GCSE when only a few surf lodges were around - stayed at Newquay Surf Lodge -near to train, town centre etc and came home in one piece having had a wicked time. As they were only 16yrs old we did have to give parental agreement and take reponsibilty-but that may have changed .And yes they did cook for themselves occais.

surrey
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Post GCSE trip to Newquay

My 16 year old daugher and friends are going to Newquay in July they are staying in a surf lodge for 18-30 year old, they are sensible but i am worrid about the drink and drugs, has Newquay changed is it safer now, i want them to have a good time but am worrid.

mum52

newquay
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Post GCSE trip to Newquay

I used to work in a surf lodge in Newquay and in one of its most popular bars; and to be quite honest it really does depend on how you brought your children up. They aren't going to turn into drug addicts on one holiday... even if they experiment, its all what growing up is about, they are at a worst threat going out in a local town than in Newquay because that is where all the "bad" people actually appear from in Newquay (in the Summer). Its the tourists that bring the drugs, not the locals, and if the locals do have any drugs they will not give them to tourists either way, they would rather keep them from themselves, thanks!

Therefore I say, chill out, there isn't much you can do apart from give your kids good moral guidelines and make sure they're not chavs!