We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newquay at Summer Bank Holiday week 25th August to 1st Septe

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Newquay at Summer Bank Holiday week 25th August to 1st Septe

Can anyone tell me what Newquay would be like at Summer Bank Holiday week 25th August to 1st September 2012. Is it as I've seen posted before full of drunken teenagers/young adults? We are in our 60's and thought we could stay in Newquay to attend a wedding during that week in St Ives. Would we be best staying at St Ives? What's the transport like from Newquay airport to St Ives and from Newquay town to St Ives and back? Also what's the weather usually like at that time of year? Any nice guest houses in Newquay or St Ives?

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,639 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: Newquay at Summer Bank Holiday week 25th August to 1st Septe

If you are going to a wedding at St Ives and it is going to be a late finish, you would be far better placed staying in St Ives.

Transport from Newquay airport to St Ives is not too bad. Probably best to get the bus into Newquay, and then use the train. This will involve a couple of changes, as both Newquay and St Ives are on branch lines.

Transport from Newquay airport into town, well as I said, you can get the bus, but it's not that far, so a taxi isn't too expensive.

Bank holiday in Newquay will be busy, and there may well be a lot of groups of younger people, but St Ives will be busy too, so you need to be booking soon if you want to get the bst of the accommodation.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
2. Re: Newquay at Summer Bank Holiday week 25th August to 1st Septe

Hi

If you are going to a Wedding in St Ives then you would probably be better off staying there. As Annabelle says, it will be busy in Newquay and in St Ives, in fact, probably busy all over for the Bank Holiday. Why not have a look at Carbis Bay? It is 1.5 miles from St Ives and the accommodation there has good parking usually and sea views quite often. It is a lot quieter there but you can hop on the Branch Line train from Carbis Bay to St Ives and it only takes a couple of minutes to get there. There are so many different kinds of accommodation there including B&B's, Guest Houses and Hotels.

I think this would be worthy of consideration. If you want any more information just ask.

Suzi

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Newquay at Summer Bank Holiday week 25th August to 1st Septe

PS. Just thought I would mention, Carbis Bay is pretty steep so ensure, if you do fancy it, that you check that your accommodation is near the station or you could have a steep hike up the hill.

Suzi

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Newquay at Summer Bank Holiday week 25th August to 1st Septe

Thank you Suzi for all your information - especially about getting accommodation near the station - I'm not good with hills ! Any suggestions for a decent guest house in Carbis Bay near the station?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Newquay at Summer Bank Holiday week 25th August to 1st Septe

Also Suzi can you get a direct train link from Newquay to Carbis Bay? We'd probably fly to Newquay airport, then bus to Newquay......so would like a direct train link to Carbis Bay if possible? If not how to get to Carbis Bay from Newquay (with luggage of course!)

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
6. Re: Newquay at Summer Bank Holiday week 25th August to 1st Septe

Bearing in mind that you are going to have to get to St Ives anyway, from having a cursory glance at what transport is available, it would appear that it would be better for you to stay at or near St Ives as getting from Newquay to St Ives isn't probably going to be that easy (although I am sure someone will put me right if I have judged this incorrectly).

You can get a train from Newquay to Par and then get the train to St Erth from there. At St Erth, you change for St Ives. I can't find an alternative route.

The other options with cases are taxi - expensive - or hire a car (also expensive but probably more convenient and you will have this for the duration of your stay then) although you might not have budgeted for this and this might not be convenient for whatever reason. I know there are buses that go from Newquay to St Ives but, of course, with cases, that is hard work although this is probably the most direct form of public transport.

Hopefully, someone will have some better information about the trains.

The nearest hotel to the train station is the Boskerris Hotel and, it is up a steep hill but it is not far at all. I have asthma and can manage it just fine but, of course, that is just taking myself into consideration and I don't know your circumstances.

There are a lot of guest houses on the main road into St Ives but they aren't near the station, however, there is a good regular bus service into St Ives if you don't mind buses too much. If you were to do this though, when you are travelling there in the first place, I would recommend going past Carbis Bay to St Ives and then getting a taxi the short way from St Ives to Carbis Bay. That way you won't have to drag your cases up a very steep hill! Benefits of a steep hill are the wonderful views but not so wonderful if you find them difficult but there are many ways round it.

Suzi

Suzi

Newquay, England...
2 posts
7. Re: Newquay at Summer Bank Holiday week 25th August to 1st Septe

I think you would be best off staying in St Ives. Carbis Bay is also very nice, and quieter than St Ives, both are steep though. If you're not good with hills you will probably want to stay in St Ives close to the station as that is lower (closer to beach level). There are a lot of B&Bs or the Pedn Olva Hotel (http://www.pednolva.co.uk/) is near here and has amazing practically reach out and touch the sea views.

Getting to St Ives from Newquay Airport will not be a particularly quick or easy journey unless you get a taxi which will be expensive. As mentioned before there is no direct route from Newquay to St Ives or Carbis Bay.

You would need to get a bus or taxi from Newquay airport to Newquay train station (there is a bus stop outside Burger King in Newquay which is the closest stop to the train station).

Then you get the train from Newquay to Par, change at Par, get the train from Par to St Erth, change at St Erth and get the train to Carbis Bay or St Ives. The St Erth branch line is spectaculour though.

However this train journey is likely to take 3-4 hours depending at which time of day you want to go, when in reality St Ives is only about 45mins-1 hour away from Newquay by car.

If time is an issue and you want to get more from your holiday you would really be best off bringing your car/hiring one to bring down with you. Public transport is poor at best in Cornwall and you would see so much more with a car. Buses areoften very busy (not to mention run down and dirty) down here and the train takes so long as most places are not connected by direct lines. Sarah.

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
973 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Newquay at Summer Bank Holiday week 25th August to 1st Septe

There is a bus between Newquay and St Ives. However, if your wedding is in St Ives, I'd stay nearer there.

9. Re: Newquay at Summer Bank Holiday week 25th August to 1st Septe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, May 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Newquay