We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suitability for older ladies

Cheshire
Level Contributor
249 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Suitability for older ladies

My friend and I normally go abroad at this time of year but unfortunately due to personal circumstances we are unable to go this time. We have been looking at Newquay self catering as we like nice walks, country pubs, beaches and eating out. We thought that going to Newquay would be the next best thing as we didn't want to stay up north and that we may get better weather, but people have been putting us off saying it's full of young ones who get drunk etc are we looking at the wrong resort as it looked so lovely. Please advise.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suitability for older ladies

Newquay has got a reputation to be like this, however, it is a beautiful town with lovely beaches. I know Lilly will be able to advise you better in this regard. I believe that everyone in that area has done everything humanly possible to make sure that everyone gets a happy and peaceful holiday when they go there. It is fair to say though that it does attract a lot of younger people.

If you are worried though you could always consider St Ives/Carbis Bay which is a bit further to drive but has everything that you could possibly want. Also, Looe and Fowey are good alternatives too. Maybe have an in-depth look on the respective forums for these areas and make your mind up.

I am sure Lilly will comment on this post though and she is best placed to allay any worries that you might have. I haven't been to Newquay for a few years now but I remember it having beautiful beaches and wonderful countryside surrounding it.

Suzi

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Looe
Looe
Cornwall, UK
Fowey
Fowey
Cornwall, UK
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suitability for older ladies

Hallo, the porth beach area is a good area to stay in-

Beach

Costal footpath

Pub-The Mermaid and there is a good restraunt across the road too

Buses to Padstow leave from beside the beach

Fistral Blu at fistral beach is a good place for a meal too

Mentioned in this post
Padstow
Padstow
Cornwall, UK
Fistral Blu
Fistral Blu
30 Reviews
Newquay, UK
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suitability for older ladies

Whilst Newquay is known as a party town, there is something there for everyone, and the drunkenness you are probably worried about happens in town, late night/early morning, now unless you have more stamina than I do, you won't be out and about in those areas.

You can have a lovely time in Newquay, lots of nice walks, things to do, restaurants and cafes, and bars that will be more your style than the fun pubs frequented by the stag and hen crowd.

If you want something quieter, then look at Padstow or Port Isaac, or on the other coast, Looe or Polperro.

I'm sure you will have a lovely time whatever you choose. The only time I wouldn't recommend you to come to Newquay would be this bank holiday weekend as it's run to the sun, which can get a bit rowdy all over the resort.

Mentioned in this post
Padstow
Padstow
Cornwall, UK
Port Isaac
Port Isaac
Cornwall, UK
Looe
Looe
Cornwall, UK
Polperro
Polperro
Cornwall, UK
Oxford
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Suitability for older ladies

i'd head for st ives .... you will not go wrong .... it is stunning and has something for everyone ...... the surrounding plants, gorgeous white beaches and deep colours of the ocean will have you thinking you are in the med anyway - so much better than going abroad.

personally, i'd suggest staying in carbis bay as it is a little quieter than st ives - but the stunning coastal walk means you can be there in 20 minutes or so ... the walks around the area are amazing - you will not be disappointed - plus there is the amazing coastal train ride ... that gets you into st ives in less than 2 minutes ......

great pubs, tea rooms, art galleries, gorgeous working harbour and so much more ...... i promise you will not be disappointed!

Newquay, United...
Destination Expert
for Newquay, Cornwall
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suitability for older ladies

Hi carpetbagger,

Here I go again, having to defend Newquay.

Firstly let me explain, I am of the same age group as yourselves. I have lived in Newquay for nearly 14years,now. Before that holidayed here for some 20years.

Newquay is a fantastick place,for both young & us more mature.

Yes I will admit we do have a small problem with the younger ones late at night, what Town centre doesn't, as Annabelle said they only come out to play when most of us are contemplating going to bed.

As for things to do, well will tell you what I like to do.

Go to the Zoo, loverly & peaceful on a nice day. Picnic areas,great cafe (not a rip off)

Walk round Trenance gardens, then onto the boating lake, if hubby is with me hire a paddle boat.

Of Course walks along any of the seven beaches(one for each day of the week)

Some of the many eateries, The Red Lion, The Fort, The Griffin, The Lewinnick, The Steam Room all with beautiful ocean views.

I would advise that you book pretty soon, try this:

newquayguide.co.uk/accommodation/newquay-sel…

May I also mention that we have coach loads of mature people all year round, year after year,the eldest I have spoken to was 90 & has been coming on the trips since her hubby passed away in 1986.

With regards to St. Ives, yes a very lovely place. Depending on your fitness level,is very steep. Also its not on the Atlantic

I guess its down to you. As Kirsty said I would try & stay the Porth end of Newquay. Just my opinion you should also consider B&B.

Super-U-K Thank, I see my reputation proceeds me. :-)))))

Edited: 6:02 am, May 19, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Trenance
Trenance
Cornwall, UK
Red Lion
Red Lion
583 Reviews
Newquay, UK
Porth
Porth
Cornwall, UK
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suitability for older ladies

Lily, I'm with you. Newquay is a beautiful place with lots to see and do for everyone.

It seems some people, and I don't mean DEs here, think St Ives is the only place to go in Cornwall. While it is very lovely, there are lots of other lovely places to see in the county

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suitability for older ladies

I agree with you on that one Annabelle, whilst I totally love St Ives/Carbis Bay, the whole of Cornwall has different things to offer everyone and St Ives definitely isn't the only place to recommend. I haven't been to Looe but it looks fantastic. I've stayed up at Newquay and Crantock years ago and it is wonderful. There are other great places like Padstow and Fowey and some of the inland places are just as nice too so shouldn't be overlooked unless a seaside holiday is specifically required.

Good point about the steepness round St Ives/Carbis Bay, I hadn't thought about that one. I have asthma and do struggle myself but it can be even more difficult for some people.

Suzi

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Looe
Looe
Cornwall, UK
Crantock
Crantock
Cornwall, UK
Padstow
Padstow
Cornwall, UK
Fowey
Fowey
Cornwall, UK
Cheshire
Level Contributor
249 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suitability for older ladies

What a fantastic response-like to thank you all for replying. Although we are in our early fifties we are quite young at heart like entertainment and a good boogie so we didn't want anything too quiet hence that's why we go abroad to Spain, Tenerife Majorca etc. It's just that we didn't want to go anywhere full of drunken teenagers either. After reading your info on Newquay we have now booked a fabulous apartment overlooking the Great Western beach which if we have the weather looks as good as anything we could get abroad. Thanks once again for the recommendation of restaurants and pubs I have made a note of them and are looking forward to trying them.Once again thanks for helping us to make up our mind :-)

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Newquay, United...
Destination Expert
for Newquay, Cornwall
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suitability for older ladies

Carpetbagger, "Apartments opposite Great Western Hotel"

Puzzled!.............. Do you mean the ones on the beach?

If you like to boogie, then give Buzios a try. When are you coming? You did not say.

Mentioned in this post
Great Western Hotel
Great Western Hotel
951 Reviews
Newquay, UK
Buzios
Buzios
Newquay, UK
Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suitability for older ladies

I would support everything that has been said that is GOOD about Newquay. It is a great place. I used to live there & have been visiting / holidaying in Newquay fo 35 to 40 years on & off.

My Grandparent used to holiday in Newquay. They used to stay in a hotel at the Pentire end looking over Fistral Beach

Mentioned in this post
Fistral Beach
Fistral Beach
3,473 Reviews
Newquay, UK