We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Our First Time in Newquay

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
879 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Our First Time in Newquay

Hi All

I thought I'd post a bit of a trip report as there aren't many recent ones to be found on here yet :-)

We came home yesterday (26th Sept) from a Mon - Fri trip to Newquay, we stayed at Newquay Holiday Park on a 9.50 newspaper holiday deal. The park was nice and peaceful, caravan clean and pleasant enough although the shiny stiff mattress not too nice. ONly complaint about park was its 3 mile distance to newquay and difiicult accessibility to Newquay - I have posted a review about this though so wont bore anyone with it again.

The first evening we had a nice fish & chip tea and Jon Bhoys chippy and enjoyed a few drinks around town, I am 28 and my boyfriend is 34 and the pubs we enjoyed were Walkabout especially with its harbour & beach views, the Towan Blystra wetherspoons pub and a pub in the town centre named Central. In fact they were pubs that suit all age groups.

We didn't try any of the nightclubs in Newquay as there was too many daytime activities we wanted to do to capacitate a heavy night on the tiles :-)

DAY1

We spent our first full day exploring newquay and walked right up to fistral beach, food ok at the fistral beach cafe and a little pricey. Had cornish pasties but they were a but dry and stodgy.

Fistral Beach was a stunning place to sit and chill out with a drink. We were blessed with warm sunny weather for our whole trip. We explored some of the little coves prior to fistral and did a little beach foraging - I have some very nice shells to show for it. As we headed back around the harbour we stopped in a pub whose name I can't remember - possibly red lion - very nice place to have a beer, gorgeous views.

Shopping is great in Newquay, something for every age group.

That evening we went for a Mexican at Senor Dicks - I had a delicious filled potato skin starter and my boyfriend had a cheesy breaded jalepeno kind of affair also very good. The main meals were a bit odd as my boyfriend likes a hot chilli, this was what he ordered and as I can't take food very hot I usually have fajitas however my cray fish & mango filling was extremely hot I did manage to eat some which was tasty until my mouth started to burn like mad, my boyfriend ate some and couldn't believe that the menu didnt warn about the heat and he was a bit dissappointed as his chilli was very mild!

DAY2

We took our bikes into Newquay snd had a Pie & mash dinner from Goddards Pie Mash & Liquor shop - it was spot on! Pie very tasty!Fairly reasonably priced too.

We cycled around a very stunning coast cycle route to visit Watergate Bay. Another nice beach with some surf shops and restaurants. Jamie Oliver's fifteen is based here although it was difficult to see it as it appeared to be built into the rock face?

We cycled back the 6 miles to the caravan and had few drinks on site before hitting the town for tea again. We went to the Medieval Meadery as between 6 and 6.30pm you get free starters. It was a lovely sumptious candle lit medieval banquet hall, really enjoyed the experience, I had a prawn cocktail starter and my boyfriend had some breaded camembert I think - both delicious as I remember it.

I had a nice venison steak and chips for my mains - it was very tasty and very lean, My other half and a medieval meat grilland potato wedges, there was some really nice stuff on his place like venison and ribs and some lovely proper roasted chicken breast that I decided to help him eat :-) I think this came to about £4o including wines

Had a bit more wine at Towan Blystra before catching the bus back with a somewhat light head!

Day3

We loaded the bikes onto the car and drove to Padstow to cycle the Camel Trail, The estuary as you cycle along a disused railway is very pretty, some great photography to be had.

We cycled 5 and a half miles to Wadebridge and had a really nice dinner at a tea room on the main street through the time but I can't remember what it was called - very nice and very varied menu.

Wadebridge was very quaint with lots of nice shops such as old fashioned sweet shops and fudge shops. Seems very much a retirement haven.

We headed back onto the Camel Trail to cycle another 6 and a quarter miles to Bodmin. The trail is nice and flat and traffic free between the towns and was very popular with all ages - People were even able to hire trikes with a seat on the back to take your pet dog for a ride - the dogs seemed to love sitting and taking in the scenery :-)

We reached Bodmin and decided to visit Bodmin Jail which is right on the camel trail.

The pub there was a bit pricey at £3.40 for a pint! I enjoyed walking around the Jail though (£5.50 admission per adult) There were lots of eerie stories and history to read about and if you are open to feeling presences you really do feel like you can feel the spirirts of the hung as walk around dark cells.

We cycled 12 miles or so back to Padstow and unfortunately as time was knocking on a bit didn't get to explore Padstow.

For our 3rd and final evening we went for an indian meal at Maharajah on Cliffe Road - it was a real treat after all that exercise :-) The food and service was marvellous and the view to die for as you sit and dine in the conservatory with panoramic coastal views!

Had a final pint at walkabout watching the distant lighthouse winking in the darkness.

GOING HOME

We decided to load up the car and drive down to fistral beach for a final breakfast sat out in the sun, not a bad fry up actually. We both had a final shopping spree in the surf shops there before sadly leaving Newquay for the long drive home! which just to make us even more depressed took flippin hours cos af a crash on the motorway near birmingham but never mind eh!

CONCLUSION

We both loved Newquay and cornwall as a whole and felt it was a place we could both live - time flies on hols cos there is so much to see and explore!

I would love the active outdoor lifestyle available there and I am seriously thinking of relocation! I have always dreamed of living by the sea and it doesn't get much better than cornwall :-)

Newquay
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Our First Time in Newquay

looks like another person about to move to Newquay...i moved here this year and to tell the truth have not looked back....people are friendly and still so much to do..Goddards ( the best pies going ( ask for the London pie) as this is what its all about)...all the best

john

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
879 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Our First Time in Newquay

Hi John

yeah we live in Scunthorpe in Lincs and unfortunately the place is now teaming with chavs, teen parents and alchys!! It seems to have gone down hill a lot in the last 6 months to a year but there was no trace of any of that in newquay as quite simply there is more to do there.

We bought our mountain bikes around april this year as we wanted to get into cycling but I haven't been able to motivate my other half to go here as there isn't really anywhere and I tried biking around our area once and the traffic scared me too much!

I could spend forever walking and cycling round those cliff tops at newquay! plus cornwall is full of cycle routes to enjoy!

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Our First Time in Newquay

Well done Jools for doing something in Newquay other than drink, drink, drink! It's good you had a great time. I originate from East Anglia and Cornwall certainly has got good things about it compared - not least of course the lovely views, unfortunately, the wages here are rubbish - there's a few employers down here making a mint from your average joe (and joanna)so you have to be prepared to take rather a large cut in salary unless you work for the NHS or as a teacher where of course salaries are nationally the same. Also, you were extremely lucky with the weather, if you do want to live down here, be prepared for it being 3 times as rainy as East Anglia - and boy does it rain!

All that said, there are big pluses as you experienced so good luck if you do make the move.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
879 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Our First Time in Newquay

Hi Loopy

Yeh the weather is atrocious here in Scunthorpe this week, we were very fortunate last week with the weather in Newquay :-)

My partner works in IT for the NHS so he always has the potential to relocate and I am a trainee Health & Safety adsvisor so I am hoping that might make the world my oyster a bit...Or at least in the direction of the south west anyway :-)

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Our First Time in Newquay

Glad you enjoyed Newquay but there is far, far more to Cornwall than Newquay. Try the south coast next time. Very different but nowhere near as touristy....loads to do, quaint villages, great pubs etc.etc. Fowey is a wonderful place but you really are spoiled for choice. I worked for the NHS in Cornwall so know where you're coming from re re-locating... can't recommend it enough.

If you do end up there and can find some proper, local Cornish people( unlikely in Newquay) they will do anything for you and be true friends for life. Give it a go.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
879 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Our First Time in Newquay

Hi Andy

I am going to purchase a cycling map of the whole of cornwall so we can visit some more places down there next year. Penzance might be quite a stunning place to visit right on the bottom there.

One thing I didn't manage to get round to having on my trip was clotted cream ice cream - god I love that stuff! Will have to indulge next year :-)

The South West have got it goin on with the whole clotted cream thing - that stuff rocks!

Strabane
Level Contributor
563 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Our First Time in Newquay

jools1979 - enjoyed your trip report - myself and my fanily are thinking of going their late july with our two kids 4 & 12 had looked at newquay holiday park through parkdeans - would be grateful if you could comment further on teh accomodaiton you stayed in i.e. condition etc and what you thought of the faciliteis of the park.

thanks

Grainne

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Our First Time in Newquay

Hi grainne

You have resurrected a post that hasn't been used for a few months, you may get a response if you personal message Jools or statrtin a new post asking for info on the site you are interested in.

Regards Trisha

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Our First Time in Newquay

Hi Again, sorry I see you have asked some questions and got no responses, sorry that is not my area of Cornwall but hopefully someone will come back to you. Good luck regards trisha

10. Re: Trip Report - Our First Time in Newquay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, October 09, 2009