We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are some good 'Hidden Gem' beaches in/near Newquay.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
42 reviews
What are some good 'Hidden Gem' beaches in/near Newquay.

Hi there guys n gals,

Last year my friend and I took a trip to Newquay and went on a little explore.

We found a stunning little beach called 'Polly Joke' and we thought it was great.

Can you suggest any more little hidden beaches like Polly Joke?

Thanks in advance.

Have a wonderful day ya lovely peeps

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
720 reviews
1. Re: What are some good 'Hidden Gem' beaches in/near Newquay.

The real name of this beach is Porth Joke, although the locals tend to call it Polly Joke. It is the only one that I know near Newquay that is quite so quiet and unspoiled, probably due to the fact that access is fairly limited and the car park a bit of a walk from the beach. It’s also the other side of the River Gannel from Newquay. There is nothing quite so remote near Newquay. On that side of the Gannel I assume you looked at Crantock (the beach before Porth Joke), and after that is Holywell Bay and then the long stretch of Perran Beach and Perranporth.

Going in the other direction (towards Padstow) there are many lovely beaches, but none that you could call ‘hidden’ as most are close to the coast road (B3276). The only one I can suggest that is away from the coast road down some narrow lanes is Treyarnon Bay, although it’s nearer to Padstow than Newquay. At one time it just had a youth hostel there (when youth hostels were sited in quieter and more remote spots ideal for hikers) and a few large houses overlooking the sea, but over the years has become more popular as people have ‘discovered’ it. There is now a car park in a field at the head of the beach with a van serving food in season, and the youth hostel now has a restaurant area (lunches) for the general public, so sadly it is nowhere near as quiet as Porth (Polly) Joke. But it is a nice cove and beach for all that.

If you get as far as Padstow, then just before town take a left turning down a narrow lane to Hawkers Cove, a nice and slightly quieter (and calmer) beach but on the mouth of the River Camel rather than the open sea.

Edited: 11:09 am, September 28, 2017
Blackpool
Destination Expert
for Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: What are some good 'Hidden Gem' beaches in/near Newquay.

You could try Fox Cove or Pentire Steps, both between Newquay and Padstow.

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
720 reviews
3. Re: What are some good 'Hidden Gem' beaches in/near Newquay.

Both Fox Cove and Pentire Steps are certainly hidden away beaches, although neither is as easy to access as Porth Joke. I've never been down to Fox Cove, content to look at it from the top of the vertiginously high cliffs that surround it. I think the nearest car park is at Treyarnon or possibly Porthcothan from where it's a fair walk along the coast path and, if you want to get down to it you need nerves of steel and the ability of a mountain goat to negotiate what looks to be a severely challenging path down the cliffs - or at least that's my cowardly view. I've never attempted it, but it does look inviting and as its between high cliffs I am sure it is sheltered and calm.

Pentire Steps is slightly easier to get to as it is next to Bedruthan Steps where there are a couple of car parks. However, once again it is a fair climb down to sea level, although there are steps at Bedruthan to make it easier. I don't think you can get to it without going down the steep steps to Bedruthan Steps and along the beach (but I could be wrong). It's a fair while since I've walked along Bedruthan beach to it, but as I recall it is only accessible at a fairly low tide, so if you do go make a note of the tide as it is easy to become cut off there.

As I said, you can't just walk onto the either beach as you can at Porth Joke, but if you don't mind a bit of a hike to get there, and a steep climb down and back up again, then they could be ideal for getting away from the tourist crowds.

Edited: 7:50 am, September 29, 2017
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
285 reviews
4. Re: What are some good 'Hidden Gem' beaches in/near Newquay.

Have a look on here: www.thebeachguide.co.uk

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: What are some good 'Hidden Gem' beaches in/near Newquay.

All the Newquay beaches in the beach guide seem to be the popular ones.

6. Re: What are some good 'Hidden Gem' beaches in/near Newquay.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 01, 2018