We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a total ban on fancy dress?

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a total ban on fancy dress?

Hi, we are organising my friend's hen do in beautiful Newquay and are hoping to have one night out In fancy dress but I've heard there is now a total ban on costumes across all the bars? Tried to read up on it but the info is a bit confusing as it mainly seems to be talking about mankinis (which we definitely won't be wearing!!!).

Could someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks! Kay

17 replies to this topic
Blackpool
Destination Expert
for Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a total ban on fancy dress?

Isn't it just obscene or offensive fancy dress???? Im sure if you all dresses up as smurfettes you would be fine :)

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a total ban on fancy dress?

Kay, if there are particular bars you are interested in visiting, maybe email/facebook them and ask their stance on this. No point paying for fancy dress then being turned away - you can't argue with a bouncer by saying "but some bloke on tripadvisor said it would be OK...."

Edited: 7:33 am, August 24, 2017
Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a total ban on fancy dress?

I think it depends on what the fancy dress is. If you go as Charlie Chaplin then I doubt there will be a problem, but if you go as Riahanna on heat then you will doubtless be banned. But don't take my word for it, as it's not something I've ever tried to do (Charlie Chaplin or Riahanna!)

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a total ban on fancy dress?

<<"but some bloke on tripadvisor said it would be OK...">>

Even if you email and the bar say it's fine, you still can't argue with bouncers!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,288 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a total ban on fancy dress?

Well you coulkd try. But somehow I don't think that anyone is going to get very far by producing an email message printout form the depths of their costume saying that they don't ban fancy dress, nor can I see the bouncers suddenly changing their minds because of it!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,072 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a total ban on fancy dress?

The wording in the press is "crack down on obscene fancy dress, fake ID and street drinking."

telegraph.co.uk/news/…

So it would depend on what you choose to dress as as others have said.

Could you not have your fancy dress night in your home town of Bournmouth perhaps. It would be a lot easier.

Edited: 4:54 pm, August 27, 2017
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,288 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a total ban on fancy dress?

I concur with you on having the fancy dress in Bournemouth, Toopaz.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a total ban on fancy dress?

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately there's also a bit of a ban in Bourneouth! We are going as superheroes so shouldn't be too risqué but I will try emailing!

Thanks again

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
353 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a total ban on fancy dress?

Newquay is fighting hard to lose its 'party animal' reputation. Back in the late 70's early 80's, I was head doorman at several of the top bars and nightclubs...and saw the rot setting in.

The days of the out of control, hedonistic stag and hen parties are now frowned upon, by management, police, residents and other holiday makers.

As suggested elsewhere...contact the venues directly, ask them for rules and if you get a confirmation that you can wear fancy dress...get them to inform door security of your arrival and to allow you access.

Have you considered just dressing normally and NOT making a spectacle of yourselves!!!

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a total ban on fancy dress?

I had my stag do in Newquay 8 years ago. The place goes completely bonkers. I recall a (well-humoured) street fight between a load of captain cavemen with inflatable clubs and another lot dressed as bananas with smaller inflatables. Surreal.

Reply to: Is there a total ban on fancy dress?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted