We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is now a good time to visit?

nr. London
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Is now a good time to visit?

We(2 couples) are contemplating a 4 day trip to the Cornwall and surrounding areas starting the 27th of December.

Is that a nice time to visit Cornwall? What about availability of quality accomodation, food and public transport? Are the sights and sounds open round the year?

Which are the nice places to visit? Suggestions on affordable B&B(~20pounds pp a night) are very welcome.

And any inputs on the Eden Project - how is it at this time of the year.

Basically, are limited to mainland UK and looking for a nice short break. Had gone to Exmoor this time last year and found it quite agreeable.

Supro

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is now a good time to visit?

Obviously chances are the weather will be worse than in say, March onwards, but you could get lucky with clear skies and mild weather (or it could be really awful!) Plus the very short daylight hours mean you get about 50% less sighseeing time than in June, though very few crowds at sights (there is a reason for that!)

I certainly wouldnt rely on public transport to get around Cornwall, especially given the lack of time due to the shortest daylight hours at this time of year, it will be getting dark around 3pm or so. I take it you are planning to go by train, in which case 4 days has you coming back on or around New Years day or eve (which is a Sunday in any case) so public transport and trains will be restricted, possibly very restricted or non-existent, services.

Also if you are going by train you'll be spending the best part of a day (and certainly of the daylight) to get there and same again to get back (and not much different going by car), so if it was me I'd try somewhere closer to hand for a short break and save Cornwall for better weather, longer daylight hours, in the Spring onwards, (and if possible a slightly longer time so the travelling isnt such a large part of the break).

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is now a good time to visit?

Hi - take on board everything that joeintheuk says .....i would really think about coming by car, it is really difficult to "do" cornwall relying on public transport!!!!

The Eden project will be fine this time of year as the Biomes are tropical/dessert anyway so it's only the outside areas which will look a bit bleak - at this time of year they have an ice skating rink for all ages!!!! :) and would definately be worth visiting. If you want to stay local to that then i would suggest Fowey it's a lovely harbour town. BUT i'm from Falmouth again a lovely harbour town so i would obviously recommend you to stay here. A point to note is that Falmouth has a train station so if you did come via train you would change at Truro and head onto the branch line to Falmouth. You will probably find more B&B's in Falmouth than Fowey (there are loads - visit the tourist board website for address's etc.,) The Eden project is about an hours drive away (32 miles) and the tourist office may even be able to tell you if there is a trip up there you go on. See my "inside pages" for the Falmouth area for all we have to see and do - we have Pendennis Castle and across the bay there is St.Mawes Castle both on headlands and surrounded by lovely sandy beaches - ideal for a winters stroll with the wild seas blowing :) We have lots of cafe's and restaurants too - to suit all tastes and budgets. If you would like any other information just ask. But to sum it up if you can get down here under your own transport then go for it you'll have a lovely time. Caz :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is now a good time to visit?

There are pleasures to be had at any time of year in Cornwall.

Like many I enjoy the blustery weather and watching the sea crashing in on the cliffs.

Only thing I would say is don't bank on Camping!!! Last night the neighbours children's trampoline ended up strewn across our garden.

Eden project shoudl still have some special Xmas attractions running over into the new year (Ice Skating for instance)

Are you planning to be here for new year? If so, unless you're self catering, check bookings for dinner etc as many places get busy that night!

As Caz mentioned Falmouth would be a good spot. Good sized town with plenty to see/do without trekking for miles.

Also consider St Ives or if you're wanting a more party atmosphere then Newquay though it will be a bit chicken oriental on New Years there!

4. Re: Is now a good time to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, August 24, 2009