We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Planning trip to Cornwall

london
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help Planning trip to Cornwall

Hi all

Im planing to visit cornwall for 3 days during early september with my girlfriend, reading the various posts i have gathered restaurants and beaches which are a must see, i would like help regarding place to stay. i would be driving there. would prefer someplace nice, quiet and good views of the coast.

thanks

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Planning trip to Cornwall

Shafisara, have you had a look at this thread?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186234-i637-k7431…

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Planning trip to Cornwall

A friend of mine from NZ visited Cornwall a few years ago & asked my opinion of places to go. I gave her loads of suggestions, including the main ones of Penzance (to visit St Michels Mount), St Ives, etc, etc - too many to mention them all. One place I recommended which she loved was the lesser known St Mawes. It is accesible by road or by ferry from Falmouth. The lady in question has travelled the world, and thought St Mawes was her idyill pace. Peaceful, yet not too remote.

There are a few hotels to stay in or around St Mawes or you can stay in Flamouth which is much busier, but if you just avaoid the school holidays it should have quietened down. Either of these places are great bases.

It depends on your standards, but I have had general good reports on the Idle Rocks Hotel, as good value,. If you want something very special, The Tresanton Hotel is one I have heard excellent reports on, but it is quite pricey.

Both hotels have trip advisor reviews for you to compare - just search for St Mawes Hotesl & follow the suitable links. This is one of numerous places in Cornwall I would suggest you visit. It seems to offer what you you asked for. Hope ther weather stays great for you.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Planning trip to Cornwall

Helps if we know your budget parameters.

Also what you want to do? Walks? Get out on the water?

Relax with a view and a book?

For a couple of days I'd consider doing more than one town.

Maybe Falmouth for one night and then St Ives.

london
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Planning trip to Cornwall

I would like to have a base from where i could travel. have been looking at hotels in falmouth region. would like to settle for a decent hotel ready to shell ard 40-50 ppn. we love walking, trekking maybe get into the waters for a bit. pls let me know wether falmouth is an ideal base.

thx

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Planning trip to Cornwall

Falmouth would be a good base for this.

Plenty of walking options. YOu'll be more likely to find a room for the rate you're after in Falmouth than St Mawes.

Things like Eden have extended the season in Cornwall and rates don't start dropping until late Sept.

Checking Laterooms most of the bigger hotels are still £100+ per night. Idle Rocks remains at £158 per night.

These are very popular spots though if you search a bit more you'll find cheaper options of the B&B variety.

The same price profile will apply for many places though. Rates staying higher later in the season.

If you can old off until schools are back then you'll probably pick up some deals (and the journey down should be less hassle)

Say you stay in Falmouth then a day trip to St Mawes would be good. Lunch at either Tresanton or the Rising Sun. Walk upto the Castle. Get a water taxi to Place and do a walk out to St Anthonys Head.

Take river cruise somewhere - All the way to Truro and back or just to Mylor or Trelissick Gardens and House. I think there might be one that will take you to Pandora Inn which is a popular waterside pub.

None of the above will need a car so it really ups the relaxation part.

If you want to explore by car head east towards Helford. Nice river setting with some good pub lunches. And further on to The Lizard. Super cliff walks.

Plenty to fill a couple of days at a nice relaxed pace.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,543 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Planning trip to Cornwall

I agree that Falmouth would be the best base for you. Its a lovely town and you can get to most places quite easily. There is also a good range of hotels.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Planning trip to Cornwall

I agree with the views of Falmouth cheaper than St Mawes. St Mawes seems upmarket & fewer hotels so I assume they must charge more. I also agree it is agood base - there is plenty see in & around this area for a a 3 day break.

I stayed at Falmouth Hotel (not Falmouth Beach Hotel) a few years ago - would recommend this. Rates look like £59 pppn for standrad room, BB. but it is worth checking if they have special rate for a few nights.

In relation to the view of Cornish Pastie, I think that rates have gone up tremendously in Cornwall over recent years. Becasue of its location I think Cornwall has always been on a limb & didn't receive its true potential. With lower rates of pay & generally the people were poorer, but happier as they lived in a beautiful area. I think this is changing rapidly.

My view is that the money is being invested in quality attractions, & quality accommodation & people are prepared to pay for this. (The Eden Project put Cornwall on the map to a worldwide audience, but there is so much more to see within easy reach).

With people from others parts of UK either relocating in this part of the world, or buying second homes, the message is getting around how fabulous Cornwall is. As well as being popular with families, it is attracting a more afluent market, for short breaks & quality. Its great that the standards have improved: just hope it does doesn't price itself out of the market.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Planning trip to Cornwall

Not so fabulous when you're trying to buy your first home though Janner!!

london
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Planning trip to Cornwall

thx to all for the v helpful tips. im already excited. by the sounds of it 3 days going to be too short.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Planning trip to Cornwall

Hope you enjoy your stay hafisara. Let us know how you got on.

Regards to Cornish Pastie - I couldn't agree more & it often infuriates me. I would get on my soap box, but it will deter from this topic, and this is a travel forum so it will not be appropriate to get into an inappropriate topic - however important it is.