We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Trip Report

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
326 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Another Trip Report

Just want to give a few comments after my one week stay in Cornwall:

Cornwall has too many beautiful places to mention them all. We stayed one week and the weather was just nice, not too hot, not too cool, no rain at all. This made for an unforgetable stay. Here are a few of my personal highlights:

1) We stayed in the town of Fowey which turned out to be a gem. The town itself and its riverside is beautiful and it was much less overcrowded than I had expected. Nevertheless there are a number of restaurants and bars, so that we never got bored in the evenings. I was extremely satisfied with our location even though the apartment itself (Estuary Heights) was a disappointment. Btw: If you are staying there - someone on this forum told me that it would be a good idea to do the so called "Hall Walk" - and how right he was! You need to do this 3 hour walk that gives you a good overview of the river Fowey Estuary and the towns of Fowey and Polruan with stunning views as soon as the trees (most of the walk is situated in a forrest) disappear.

2) The Minack Theatre was the highlight I thought it would be. An outdoor theatre in stunning location. When we were there, the theatre group was rehearsing which made for an interesting experience. Not to be missed.

3) For cliff lovers: Both the Lizard Peninsula and Bedruthan Steps were amazing. Some of the most scenic landscapes I have ever seen. I went for a swim in Kynance Cove and liked it a lot! We also visited a very small town called Cadgwith on the Lizard Peninsula and found it quite charming.

4) The Eden Project was also not to be missed. I liked the way the park is structured a lot and the architecture of the biomeses alone is worth a visit. The tropical rainforest was very impressing - and the place also was less crowded than I had expected.

5) Knowing Dartmoor I decided to visit Bodmin Moor this time and have to admit that I found Dartmoor more impressing. Still, a walk in a moor is a must when you visit south-west England - at least when you don't know the atmosphere from home. I always find the atmosphere quite special.

6) St. Ives was very crowded - one of the few places where I thought that there were too many people. It is still worth a visit for the Tate Gallery, but I personally wouldn't think of staying there.

Overall, we had a great stay. Thank you to everybody on this forum who helped me to plan my itinerary. Your help was very much appreciated and you have been a great source of information!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Trip Report

Mark: Nice report. You sure lucked out with the great weather. I'm taking notes of your excursions for future trips.

Isn't St. Ives lovely? Probably why so many people were there.

2. Re: Another Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:35 pm, August 08, 2006
Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
326 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Trip Report

LeeB.: You are right, St Ives is a lovely city. I have actually been there during another holiday in late September and found the town to be very charming then. In late July though the place is very crowded with tourists, so when we arrived in the harbour, the charme of the town got a bit spoiled because of the crowds. Don't get me wrong - it is still a beautiful town and definitely worth a visit, but if you decide to stay there you should be aware of the fact that it is a tourist hotspot during high season. Maybe some people would feel comfortable with that, I personally was glad to be staying in a place that was a lot more quiet and still very scenic.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Trip Report

Don;t forget the Hepworth Museum which you can get a joint ticket for with the Tate.

A nice oasis of calm and art in the middle of the bustle of St Ives.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Trip Report

It sounds like the weather was perfect. Even though I spent an entire day at the Lizard I never actually saw it for the fog! Fowey sounds lovely. Were you able to just visit the Minack without attending a performance?

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
326 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Trip Report

Britfan: Yes, I was. You can visit the theatre in the afternoon (it costs about 4 pound, as I recall) without seeing any performance. As I said, when we were visiting Minack theatre, the theatre group was rehearsing for the evening performance of Hamlet, so that we got an impression. I would have loved to see a play, but I visited Cornwall with a group of people who partly couldn't speak English, so seeing a play would not have made sense.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Trip Report

Thanks for the trip report.

We are just starting to give some serious thought to a long weekend in Cornwall next month.

CAMBORNE
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Trip Report

i went on holiday to Hayle with my husband and child and we have not returned home. it was so nice we decided to stay and rent a house! we are now selling our house to buy one in Camborne!

Denmark
Level Contributor
480 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Trip Report

Thank you MarkK!

I planning my trip to Cornwall so I was very interested in your report!

How long do you recommend to spend at the Eden Project?

Best regards

Oscar

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
326 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Trip Report

Oscar: That very much depends on what you want to do there. The park is structured in a way that gives a lot of opportunities for learning something (from "plants as spices" to "plants for fuel") which of course would take a lot of time. If you just want to do a walk and enjoy the plants I would say 3-4 hours are a minimum. You need some time for the two biomeses and at least 1-2 hours outside, I would think. Of course you can also spend a whole day in there without getting bored.