We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cornish recommendations

Herts
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Cornish recommendations

Hi all

I'm off to Cornwall next month for a few days break with my wife and daughter (18 months). She has never been to Cornwall and I've only ever been to Gorran Haven (nr Mevagissey) so we're after some recommendations of places to go.

Basically we prefer a quiet spot with beaches and within driving distance to the Eden project as will want to visit that while we're in Cornwall. I'd prefer to see the real Cornwall and not the inside of endless amusements, pubs and clubs. We'd be looking for B&B accommodation so any tips there would be great.

I really don’t like the traditional fish & chips, ice-cream English beach resorts (like Bournemouth and Southend) so would prefer to stay away from anything like that.

We absolutely love the north Devon coast (Saunton, Ilfracombe, Woolacombe, etc.) and surrounding villages so something similar would be great.

Any info is much appreciated.

Cheers!!!

Fowey, Cornwall
Level Contributor
152 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cornish recommendations

Hi,

I'm sure you will love Fowey. It is easy driving distance to Eden (15 mins) and isn't at all tacky/touristy. A great B&B is Greenbank (01726 832137 or kenpril@hotmail.com). If that is booked, I would try either Harbour View (01726 832076) or Polmear (01726 833464). All have absolutely stunning views and Fowey is a real jewel in Cornwall. The tourist info website www.fowey.co.uk is also worth a look.

As for places to go, Lanhydrock House (National Trust) is great, Lerryn a nice place to take a stroll with a little one (stepping stones and a nice riverside walk), Padstow, Port Isaac, and any of the beaches between Padstow and Newquay are lovely. Just keep clear of Newquay itself.

Hope this helps - any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cornish recommendations

Hi, It's quite hard to send you somewhere where there isn't a "beach resort" but Downwithblair is quite right Fowey is a lovely place and would be ideal for you to have as a base if you want to visit the Eden Project, this pretty estuary town is certainly well worth a stay. If you want to head down a little further then you may wish to visit Falmouth for the day this again is a lovely small town on the river Fal and is individual and not a typical "high street" town (you can read the Falmouth page "Go List" for more information) - it's about an hours drive from Fowey (32 miles.) Or head to St.Mawes a small village on the estuary for a day trip, this is home to St.Mawes Castle and you can also catch the passenger ferry across to Falmouth and back if you wanted too. Hope these suggestions are also of help - have a lovely time :) Caz

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cornish recommendations

The recommendations so far are all good.

Fowey and Falmouth both good for baby buggies too as the main street in both is pretty level though narrow.

Also near Fowey/Eden is Lanhydrock - country house and park.

And if you like Eden then Heligan is another wonderful place to visit - though if your nipper is still small enough take them in one of those back carriers as the lower part of the garden is not so easily navigable with a push chair.

Place to avoid for the cheesy seaside venue is mainly Newquay.

St Ives is caught somewhere between the two - lot of cheesy stuff on one side of the town but the Porthmeor side is a little nicer with the Tate and the Cafe on the beach.

There are lots of smaller coves and beaches dotted along the north and south coasts. Carhayes, Daymer Bay are a good example of each though clearly in peak season both will be busy.

Though it is getting busier every year St Mawes is a nice place to go for a lunch and wander. You can also head out to St Anthonys headland with its Fraggle Rock style lighthouse.

If you want to venture a little further south The Lizard has some nice walks and I think the footpaths are pretty good though again the carrier might be easier than a buggy.

Have a great trip!

Herts
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cornish recommendations

Thanks for the responses so far.

I'm leaning towards staying around the Padstow/Bodmin/St Austell region (not necessarily those spots, just dont want to go too far south as the journey back will be long and getting to Eden will also be a good hour or so).

So, would the north coast or south coast be best around that part? I'd prefer big sandy beaches as opposed to rocky beaches.

Herts
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cornish recommendations

Sorry, I jumped the gun a bit. Just had a look at the beaches for both north and south and north looks fantastic. Shame as I quite liked the look of Fowey but dont really want a 30 min drive every time we want to go to a decetn beach.

So where's nice on the north coast in this area?

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cornish recommendations

Hi i will leave you with Downwithblair, but there are some lovely beaches around the Fowey / St.Austell area - i've been to them but for the life of me can't remember the names as they are not "typical" tourist ones - a bit off the beaten path.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cornish recommendations

Am sure Downwithblair will be able to give you the specifc detail on the South Coast beaches. I know the area around Polruan and Menabilly is very nice though have not been myself.

Clearly I am little biased to North Cornwall as I spent my teenage surfing and cycling the coast between Watergate Bay and Tintagel.

If you wanted to go North Coast I'd go for somewhere handy for the Camel estuary (Polzeath, Rock, Port Issac, Padstow, Harlyn, Constantine)

No shortage of B&Bs in those areas.

I think the consensus is for the Eden project go first thing as soon as it opens! Then see something else in the afternoon.

Have a good trip!

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cornish recommendations

Thats the few i was thinking of :) Polruan and Menabilly there's also Readymoney cove nearby too. These offer safe small beaches which are sandy, as for Eden it would be advisable to go early on.

Fowey, Cornwall
Level Contributor
152 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cornish recommendations

Sorry for delay ...

Caz'n'kel has got it spot on. There are some lovely beaches in the Fowey area but they are more 'locals' beaches and aren't very well known. So, expecting some wrath from any locals by my spilling the beans, here are a couple:

Polridmouth Beach (pronounced Pridmouth). This is the beach near Menabilly House made famous by Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca. It along the Polkerris road, but instead of going down to Polkerris you carry straight on and park at the farm at the end of the road - Coombe Farm. Then follow an old smugglers lane down to the beach itself.

Lantic Bay. Across the water from Fowey so get the Pedestrian Ferry or the Bodinnick Car Ferry - park at the Pencarrow Head carpark and walk on down. Or walk along the coast path just the other side of Polruan.

Other beaches that are popular are Polkerris Beach (with the Rashleigh pub) and, as Caz said, Readymoney Beach in Fowey which is only small but a really good spot - walk up to the castle from there or swim out to the raft they have moored in the summer. There's also a great Kelly's Ice Cream van always parked there!

10. Re: Cornish recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 13, 2009