We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute lodging - Play Corwall roulette?

Palo Alto...
1 post
Save Topic
Last minute lodging - Play Corwall roulette?

I'm a TripAdvisor newby looking for help with last-minute Corwall lodging strategy... due to my procrastination and generally poor planning, my wife, college-age daughter and I have no reservations for the weekend of July 7th and 8th during a two-week trip to England. We'll be in the general area of south Cornwall, and I'm willing and expected to pay high rates. Does anyone know either a gem of a hotel, guest house or B&B that is unlikely to be completely booked, or failing that, a web site that has cancellations for nice places? If neither of those works, can anyone tell me if it's totally idiotic for us to wait until that Friday and hope that we can find a two-day cancellation at a nice place by calling tourist agencies? Thanks for any advice you all might throw my way-- I don't deserve it!

Bob

Austria
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute lodging - Play Corwall roulette?

Hi Bob.

Your taking a big chance by leaving it until the last minuet. This part of the UK gets pretty crowded at this time of the year, and Cornwall is one of the most favored destinations. However you may be lucky in one of the less touristy towns or villages and find a good B+B in a house or a pub.

I stayed at the Crumplhorn Inn in Polperro recently (do a Google for their web site) a great place to stay, but when I was there most if not all the rooms were taken.

Best of luck.

Simon.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute lodging - Play Corwall roulette?

Hi, I live just outside of a fantastic "Seaside" Town called Falmouth in Cornwall and it's full of B&B's, Guest Houses and Hotels from 2 -4*. I am positive you will find somewhere to stay here :) I have given you a website for you to get names of local hotels etc., just type in "Hotel" in the Business Section and in the area section put "Falmouth" and it will bring up all hotels - you will see it brings up hotels in areas nearby BUT if you just sift out the FALMOUTH one's - it then offers you a link to their own website where full details are available. Im sure one of them will be able to help you out :) You don't say if you will be driving or arriving my plane or Train...... But just for your info Falmouth has a train station which links to Truro (which has a direct link from London etc.,) If you want any further informtion please ask. :)

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute lodging - Play Corwall roulette?

p.s If you want to know further information on Falmouth and what it has to offer - read my reviews on Falmouth in the Tripadvisor "Inside Falmouth" guide. :)

Fowey, Cornwall
Level Contributor
152 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute lodging - Play Corwall roulette?

You should be fine. The school holidays won't have started then I think CaznKel's suggestion of trying Falmouth is great as there will be more choice than if you restricted yourself to one of the smaller places on the South Coast. And Falmouth is a top spot anyway.

B
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute lodging - Play Corwall roulette?

Hi

go to

www.ebay.co.uk

in your search write ---------cornwall

change category to ----------travel and tickets

then click -----------------------travel only

last minute cottages usually come up and you can bid for them

good luck

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute lodging - Play Corwall roulette?

I don't think you'll have to much trouble Bob since as already mentioned the UK school holidays won't have started.

Only thing I would say is 'how are you travelling?'

If you're renting a car then you have flexibility in where you can go.

If you're restricted to public transport then you might prefer the security of having somewhere booked.

www.laterooms.co.uk is a site I've used several times to find last minute accomodation.

might want to try this aswell www.cornwalltouristboard.co.uk/wheretostay

Not used it myself but might have some useful info.

If you find you run out of luck with hotels and B&Bs then there's always caravan parks - often find nice small sites with view vans that have cracking clifftop views.

Hope the weather is kind to you!

7. Re: Last minute lodging - Play Corwall roulette?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 12, 2009