We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clothes to take

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
clothes to take

I am spending a week in Newlyn from 6th July and I know this may sound crazy but I have not holidayed in the UK for years we usually go abroad so I am unsure what type of clothes to take, I know with the weather then during the day could be bikini shorts jeans and jumper !!! But what about evenings should I still take some summer dresses to wear at night or will it be all more casual I don't want to be all dressed up when people are all in jeans. Etc

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clothes to take

I think any casual clothes will be fine, no need to dress up unless you plan to eat somewhere classy. It can get cool in the evenings near the coast plus there's always the chance of the dreaded rain in the West Country, be prepared for it!

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clothes to take

Thanks we are travelling from Scotland spending an overnight in liverpool then one in Torquay 7 nights in Newlyn then breaking the journey with 2 nights in London on the way home I will pack the casuals and a brolly and a few dresses I checked the 14 day weather and it looks as if it is going to be dry but I know these things can change

Essex
Level Contributor
27,159 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clothes to take

There are shops there, too!

It is not that difficult to buy stuff you might find you need (though didn't pack)!

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clothes to take

I don't think I will be wanting to spend my hard earned money buying clothes on holiday when I have more than ample at home, but thanks for the advice, my idea of a holiday isn't troopsing about shops for clothes

Essex
Level Contributor
27,159 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: clothes to take

It is not mine, either, but remembering that such things are available, tends to take the pressure off from packing IME....

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: clothes to take

Coming from where you do you shouldn't find it cold but it may well be wet. My advice would be to bring things that can be layered, a waterproof rather than an umbrella, and your shorts just in case it is hot. As said above don't bother with posh unless you are going upmarket for dinner. Better to take something that could be adapted should the need arise. Cornwall is fairly informal unless you go to the fancy restaurants. You may find it cool in the evenings if you are walking. I hope that helps.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: clothes to take

Thanks for the info just ordered a new hoody today, at least the cottage has a washing machine so if we get wet we can wash things rather than bring loads of stuff with us

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
741 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: clothes to take

I work as a volunteer at Cornwall Hospice Care charity shop here in Tintagel and there are shops all over Cornwall so if you need extra clothes I know the stuff is good and for next to nothing too!!

There are also many other charity shops too.

It always amazes me how much woman's clothing comes in still with the tags on but being a bloke I suppose it would!!!!

Hope this is allowed! Apologies if it is not.

Edited: 12:54 pm, June 25, 2013
Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: clothes to take

Clanline that's great to know and I love browsing the charity shops knowing that I am giving to a good cause I will definitely make a point of it when I am there

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
741 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: clothes to take

There is a Hospice Care shop at Market Place Penzance so you don't have far to go!

!

I have not been to that shop so don't know what sort of range they have there but assume it is the same as our shop here.

I think there are 26 shops throughout Cornwall so you are never far from one wherever you are

Enjoy your holiday. Not long to go now!