We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"River valley country park"

Nottingham
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
"River valley country park"

I'm thinking of booking a static caravan for 1 or 2 weeks here in August. Has anyone got experiences that they can share?

We have a 5 year old daughter and we will be driving down from Nottingham. I can't see many reviews on line (apart from their own testimonials)

It sounds like there are lots of beaches within 5-15 miles, I dont mind driving up to half an hour to spend the day building sandcastles, swimming or investigating rock pools.

The woodland location sounds lovely, whats the midge / bite situation like at night? I would hate to splash out on a hot tub if I'm just going to be bitten. Are barbeques permitted?

I would like to visit the eden project: the rac route finder tells me that this takes just over an hour to get there, is this a realistic time in the school holidays?

I would like to be able to have at least a couple of early evening meals out with a glass of wine, is there frequently running public transport to St Ives etc after 7pm? If not how much roughly would a taxi cost?

Thanks for any advice

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "River valley country park"

Hi there

Yes, loads of beaches close to your accommodation, especially at Hayle/Gwithian where there are miles of golden sands backed by sand dunes, ideal for the kids to play in.

I don't know which way the RAC route finder suggests you to get to Eden but in high season, I would allow a bit more than one hour.

Here's the website, should give you a good bit of info..

http://www.rivervalley.co.uk/

Northants
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "River valley country park"

Hi Twoboots..

Just read your comments above and just have to say that River Valley Country Park at Rellubus is a lovely place to stay. No amusements of on site club, but a fantastic luxury "back to peace and quiet" park! We have stayed there three times this year and each time the staff have been great.

Not much phone signal, but we saw that as a bonus. TV is OK with some Freeview channels. Probably 20 minutes to Hayle and the beaches there, but they are so worth the trip. As for the public transport. I know that there is a train that goes from Hayle to St Ives but not sure of the timings. Lovely trip.

There are pubs fairly local, but if you wanted to get a taxi, it is going to be expensive. You have to pay for the journey out of town and back in. Best to agree a price and not go on meter. If you do the holiday and go into Penzance, try "The Vault" it is a nice place, a bit quirky with great food and even better service. A regular for us..

Whatever you decide, have a great holiday

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "River valley country park"

Hello! St Ives in August is very very busy. Relubbus has a very limited bus service, and not direct to St Ives, you would be best advised to drive to Lelant Saltings and take the train.

IMO best beaches in this area are Hayle/Gwithian Towans (this is actually one long beach, just the name changes as you go along) The Gwithian end has fabulous sand dunes which are great to play in if it's too windy for comfort on the beach.

Another wonderful place nearby to visit is St Michaels Mount

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
944 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "River valley country park"

Unfortunately there are only a few buses a day from Relubbus to Penzance, and none in the evening. If you don't mind a little walk, then the Falmouth Packet at Rosudgeon could be a good option. It's more of a restaurant than a pub but the food is good and it's very relaxed.

There are also pubs in Goldsithney, which is also walkable.

On beaches - one of my favourites is Perranuthnoe, although it disappears at high tide.

5. Re: "River valley country park"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 12, 2014