We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Go?

Colchester, Essex
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to Go?

We are a young couple planning to go to Cornwall for a long weekend this summer.

We have never been before, so have no idea where to start looking.

All we know is that we would like a nice beach, nice restaurants and a few things to do or see.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Fowey, Cornwall
Level Contributor
152 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Go?

Living in Fowey I admit I am biased but it is a gem and I would highly recommend it. Great places to eat, plenty to see and do, and is a really beautiful spot. Not too good for beaches though - so, I think St Ives would really hit the spot for you. It has lots of good trendy restaurants, excellent beaches and there's plenty to do in the area.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Go?

Hi I live near Falmouth in Cornwall and it will be a fantastic base for you as we have lots of sandy beaches, access to train station if required, lots of interesting places to visit if you don't want to sit on the beach all day!!! A vast amount of restaurants/cafes and bars to suit people of all ages and tastes from Trendy bars to "old de worldy". You can hop on a passenger ferry from Falmouths Peir and visit St.Mawes (which like Falmouth has it's own Castle), there also NT gardens called Glendurgan and privately owned gardens called Trebah about 3 miles out of the town. If you want more info just ask. As to accommodation we have loads of B&B's, Guest Houses or Hotels to suit all budgets. :)

UK
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Go?

I agree with St Ives, although it gets very busy during the summer. (Like most of cornwall!) whilst coming down or going back, a trip to Eden project www.edenproject.com is well worth it. Porthgwidden beach cafe is fantastic food with an even better location www.porthminstercafe.co.uk/pg_home.htm

www.cornwalltouristboard.co.uk is a good start for accomadation. Have a good trip

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Go?

Polperro is a must see. I am an ex-resident so a bit biased I suppose! It's little beach is only accessible at low tide but it has several great restaurants (Nevilles, Nelson's) and the best pub in Cornwall at The Blue Peter on the quayside. The Three Pilchards is good too, especially for no-nonsense pub food and fresh fish dishes, much of which will have been caught by the landlord, Bob.

Check it out at www.polperro.org

Colchester, Essex
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Go?

Thank you everyone who has replied, definitely given me something to think about. All of the places sound lovely so I will be looking into all of them and hopefully booking something soon.

Cornwall sounds like a beautiful place and I can't wait to go!

Cornwall UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Go?

When considering Cornwall check out St Agnes. This is a lively north coast village with beautiful beach and many splendid places to eat. Very hot live music scene especially on Friday and Saturday nights.

Only 5 mins from the A30 it is ideally place to see the many things that Cornwall has to offer.

Ring 01872 554150 for tourist information.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Go?

Maybe consider a 2 stop break - taking in the North and South coasts as they are quite a contrast.

Perhaps one night in Polzeath - plenty of accomodation to choose from and dinner at the Waterfront - nice big window seat or decking and watch the sun go down.

Then amble over to the South coast for some Cornish fishing village charm - Mevagissey, Fowey, Polperro - the list goes on.

Have a great trip.

8. Re: Where to Go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, August 16, 2009