We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cornwall welcome tours

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
cornwall welcome tours

Has anyone had experience with this tour company? We are discussing planning a private tour with them, touring around the area and staying at their B&B. Its a family operation, but looks very good, and is comparable pricewise to back-roads touring co.

Thanks

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cornwall welcome tours

actually, I am editing my question. the name of the company is Cornish Welcome Tours. Not Cornwall........sorry

Essex
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cornwall welcome tours

Can you post a link?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cornwall welcome tours

http://cornishwelcometours.co.uk/

here is the website.

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
756 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cornwall welcome tours

OK if you like travelling and visiting historic houses.

Some places are expensive to get in, eg Eden is about £25+ per person so you have to take all that into account when weighing up the value. Seems a lot to me without looking into it more closely.

Some of the places the accommodation is provided needs to be looked into more closely if I was you as Camelford is not really a tourist place (people in Camelford would disagree!) and very little to do there in the evening if you have no car.

Launceston is a bit better as it is a small town but not really a tourist hot spot although there is a small castle there.

I did not see St Ives mentioned in the itinerary which is very popular but I may have missed it.

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cornwall welcome tours

The itinerary as listed on the website is designed for those with an interest in historic houses. If you joined the National Trust you could get into those properties (except the Eden Project) for free.It seems that the itinerary could be designed to suit your own interests. I think you would need to discuss carefully with the owners the sort of places you want to visit and then see what they come up with.

Camelford and Launceston are not the greatest places from which to tour Cornwall. The county is long and thin so on the tour illustrated you would spend a lot of time driving around. The roads can be very twisting and turning so I hope you are good passengers.

Have you definitely decided to go on a pre arranged tour or is this just an option? You could see a lot more of Cornwall if you drove yourselves then you could go where you pleased. There are lots of suggestions on this website or if you post back with information about your interests I am sure someone come up with a plan.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cornwall welcome tours

Actually, my main interest is music. We are considering Back-Roads Touring Co., which takes up to 16 people on a tour with a specific itinerary. The reason I thought an individual tour would be good is because musical events could be arranged. We love classical music and opera, as well as folk music, so with an individual tour the host can find out what is going on in the County and include it for us.

We don't want to drive in England. Too nerveracking driving on the other side of the road.

So far we are considering a week tour with either Cornish Welcome Tours or Tours of Excellence, both individually guided, or Back-Roads Touring with a group.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Other than music performances, we are interested in the beautiful scenery of the area and the usual tourist sites, not especially in historic houses, although we welcome a variety of experiences.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cornwall welcome tours

I know the tour cost is virtually all inclusive, but by way of comparison my sister and I spent a fortnight in Cornwall in October last year. Per week, our costs were approximately £425 for our cottage, £100 for groceries, maybe £50 for petrol, £165 approx for our hire car, so about £740 (ie £370 each). We did eat at Rick Stein's a couple of times (about £120 each time for the both of us) and we're members of the UK National Trust which costs about £90 per annum for joint membership (or maybe it's Aud$90 - can't remember), so we were able to visit all the historic houses listed in the tourning company website without having to pay for entry or parking.

It's up to you if you think paying an extra £1000 per person to be driven around. Will it cost extra for them to locate musical functions for you to attend?

It's your holiday - only you can decide what's good value for you :-) Which ever way you choose to go, you're going to fall in love with Cornwall, nothing's surer!

Edited: 1:37 pm, February 07, 2013
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cornwall welcome tours

When are you planning to travel?

Classical music tends to be centred around Truro or Plymouth (Devon). This means that from your proposed bases you will be doing a lot of travelling at night. Although there is performance of a good standard it may not be of the same standard as that in the big cities. The big orchestras don't travel to Cornwall very often. Opera performance is not frequent.. Have a look at the programme for the Hall for Cornwall.

I note that you do not want to drive but the cost seems phenomenal for a week in Cornwall.

Edited: 2:51 pm, February 07, 2013
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cornwall welcome tours

If you haven't already done so, it would be a very good idea to check with the tour companies whether they are able to include the kind of musical events you're looking for in the tour. Firstly whether there are enough (any?) of them for your dates and also whether transport could be provided for you.

I have a feeling that you may be disappointed if music is your main 'wish'. Hope not though.

10. Re: cornwall welcome tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 09, 2014