We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summerholiday in Cornwall

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
217 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Summerholiday in Cornwall

Hi,

I have started planning our summerholliday. I am Danish and travelling together with my husband. We are 60 and 65 years old and are planning a cycletour.

I find planning funny - a part of the holliday. The internet and Google Maps can be used to many things:-)

So far our plan is like this:

We fly from DK to Stansted (Ryanair/cheap)

Bus from Stansted to Wadebridge, or perhaps to Bristol and overnight there, then from:

Wadebridge (rent bikes here) – Charlestown

Charlestown – Falmouth

Falmouth – Marazion

Marazion – St. Just

St. Just - Redruth

Redruth - Newquay

Newquay - Wadebridge

Bus: Wadebridge – Stansted

Fly Stansted - Århus

Does this make sense?

And are there some places where we should stay for 2 nights.?

Last evening I red about Port Isaac (here at TA), should we include this town?

I am open for every suggestion, but flying frm DK 15.7. to Stansted and back to DK 31.7. cannot be changed.

Hope to hear from you.

Regards

Lis

PS: I appologize for my English, it is nearly 50 years ago I went to school and learned the language!

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
217 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summerholiday in Cornwall

I probably have a lot more qestions, but right now I just have one:

How do we go from Bristol to Wadebridge 15.7. at 5.30 pm? Bus? Train?

Thanks - looking forward to hear from you.

Regards

Lis

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,587 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summerholiday in Cornwall

Catch the train from Bristol to Bodmin Parkway, then taxi to Wadebridge as you would have a long wait for the bus (22:10)

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summerholiday in Cornwall

Hi

Do you need to go to Bristol, because if you can get a bus from Stanstead to Wadebridge it would make more sense, though i'm guessing you would have to go into London and change buses.

Port Isaac is a small pretty fishing village made popular by the British TV show 'Doc Martin'. As a result its profile has been raised over recent years.

Its about a 20-30 min drive from Wadebridge--so how long to cycle, you can probably work it out.

Obviously, you know how far you can cycle in a day, just rermember there are lots of hills in Cornwall and some of your days look quite hard work to me, though i only cycle short distances.

Your English is very good, better than some of the English people we see here occaisionally!

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
217 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summerholiday in Cornwall

Hi Badcat110,

Thank you very much for your answer. Just now I only want to comment ón one thing:

No, we don't really "need" to go to Bristol, and there is a bus from Stansted to Wadebridge , but there is just 1 thing. It leaves Stansted at 11.40 and our flight arrives at 11.10. I don't think we can make it. But we can go to Bristol at 12.05-17.05, I think that is better! Perhaps we even HAVE to stay 1 night in Bristol.

No offence Bristol, but we would rather use our precious time in Cornwall.

Regards

Lis

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
948 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summerholiday in Cornwall

Hi - I think it's a good itinerary, providing you're fit enough and depending on where you want to stop. As Badcat says, there are a lot of hills. From the bit I know, if you want to cycle from Marazion directly to St Just, that would take me just over an hour direct, but if you were thinking of going round Land's End then that's a good three hours for me.

It might be worth stopping in Falmouth a couple of nights as it's a great town, plus you can explore some of the Lizard peninsula and Helford passage from there.

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
217 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summerholiday in Cornwall

Thank you very much for your answers.

Please remember that the cycling IS the holliday. We do have the whole day to cycle 30-40-50 km, but of course there also should be time for breaks.

We have cycled in Norway, Austria, Slovak and Check Republic and Scotland and there are hilly, too, so we are not "afraid" of hills (allhough they can be difficult!).

I don't know very much about Cornwall yet, but I have seen pictures from the coast and from this I can imagine there must be hills.

Jezzyka you advice us to stay in Falmouth for 2 days - and in fact I have had the same thought!!

And what about Marazion? Other ideas? we have a few days left.

Annabelle, is the trainstation near the busstation? Do you have a link to a timeschedule ?

It is not given that we should start and end in Wadebridge , but of course we need to start and end in the same town. Dó one of you have a better plan?

Regards

Lis

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summerholiday in Cornwall

the buses depart right outside of the train station at Bodmin Parkway. Here is the timetable for the service to Wadebridge( it will have Padstow as its destination) www.westerngreyhound.com/route_pdf/555.pdf

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,587 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Summerholiday in Cornwall

There is a bus stop outside Bodmin Parkway train station, no bus station there.

http://www.westerngreyhound.com/

That's the link for the local buses, from Bodmin Parkway to Wadebridge you need the 555.

Why not start in Bodmin rather than Wadebridge? There's a cycle hireshop there

http://www.bodminbikes.co.uk/

and I can vouch for the friendly service. From there you can access the Camel Trail which goes to Wadebridge and Padstow, and also to Wenfordbridge. You could also pick up the Saints Way in Lanivet, three miles from Bodmin.

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
217 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Summerholiday in Cornwall

Hi Annabelle

I know that I wrote that we don't need to start and end in Wadebridge and of course I meant this.

But I hope you will tell me WYH we should start in Bodmin?

Don't you - and other here ón TÁ - think that we should stay overnight in Bristol? I think we otherwise Will arrive to late in wadebridge/Bodmin?

Regards

Lis

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,587 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Summerholiday in Cornwall

It was only a suggestion, to save you arriving late at night in Wadebridge.

Ofcourse you must start and end your holiday where you want to, and if you want to stay overnight in Bristol then do so. It's your holiday.

Edited: 2:59 am, January 14, 2013