We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Novels / thrillers set in Cornwall?

Berlin
Level Contributor
174 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Novels / thrillers set in Cornwall?

Thanks to everyone for the great posts to my question "What not to miss in Cornwall". Now that our itinary is taking shape, I have an additional question as to what would be best to read during our trip.

Is there anyone who could recommend any novels (belles lettres) or thrillers set in the area?

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Novels / thrillers set in Cornwall?

"Rebecca" by Daphne Du Maurier is the obvious one.

Mike

Essex
Level Contributor
26,725 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Novels / thrillers set in Cornwall?

Any of the Wycliffe Novels by W J Burley

Jamaica Inn, Frenchman's Creek, My Cousin Rachel, by Daphne Du Maurier

Poldark Novels by Winston Graham

Essex
Level Contributor
26,725 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Novels / thrillers set in Cornwall?

The Cammomile Lawn by Mary Wesley

Any of the Minack tales (not novels though) by Derek Tangye

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
397 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Novels / thrillers set in Cornwall?

Well, there are two Elizabeth George novels that take place in Cornwall, "A Suitable Vengeance" and "Careless in Red." "Suitable Vengeance" is early in the series of novels and is very much a soap opera with death mixed in. "Careless in Red" is a later novel that is a detective story, not much soap opera, with some of the same characters.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,538 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Novels / thrillers set in Cornwall?

The Shell Seekers, lovely novel by Rosamund Pilcher. Not a thriller, but a feel good read.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Novels / thrillers set in Cornwall?

Any of the "Poldark" novels written by Winston Graham.

http://www.winstongraham.org/

Although not a novel, I have a lovely book by Daphne du Maurier entitled "Vanishing Cornwall", an enlightening read.

Berlin
Level Contributor
174 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Novels / thrillers set in Cornwall?

Thank you for all these posts. I've already ordered most of your suggestions (including "Vanishing Cornwall") and am listening to "Rebecca" whilst I write this.

I wonder are there some more "serious" novels to complete the easy reading? I'm thinking of e.g. Virgina Woolf To the Lighthouse (yes, I know this is only indirectly related to Cornwall)

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Novels / thrillers set in Cornwall?

You could try any of the Wycliffe stories by W J Burley (If you're not tired of seeing the TV series endlessly repeated on ITV3)

There's a Robert Goddard mystery/thriller set around Penzance and the Isles of Scilly: "Name to a face".

Susan Sallis's " Daughters of the moon" is a family saga about twins, with an element of mystery. A lot of it is set around Newlyn/Mousehole.

"Penmarric" by Susan Howatch is another good read, again, more of a family saga although there is "thrilling" stuff in it.

Also, Debby Fowler has written a series of crime novels set around Cornwall. I haven't read any myself but a friend has lent me one... I just haven't got around to reading it yet!

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Novels / thrillers set in Cornwall?

More recently, there is Patrick Gale's "Rough Music" (2000) which is one of the most moving novels I've ever read (it's quite sad; one of the main themes is dementia). I haven't read any of his other novels but seen good reviews of "Notes From An Exhibition" which is also set in Cornwall (he's a Cornish-based author).

Essex
Level Contributor
26,725 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Novels / thrillers set in Cornwall?

In honour of this thread being re-opened I did a bit of a 'google' and found a really good list on this blog here:

…blogspot.com/2009/06/books-set-in-cornwall.…