We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eloping to Cornwall....advice please on where!

Sussex
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Eloping to Cornwall....advice please on where!

Hi

My H2B and I have been engaged for just over 2 years now and have looked at various options and all just have costs that go up and up that we just don't want to spend on one day.

So, we've decided to run away from it all and everyone and are going to Cornwall in May next year - just the two of us (and a photographer) to get married.

So really, i need some advice on the best place to get hitched. We went to Looe last year for our first year engaged anniversary and loved it and the dream would be to marry on Looe Island but the cost is just too high to justify (over £1500!) We did think about Carnglaze Caverns but thats pricey too.

We're a very fun couple and want some really fun photos too (not tacky though) We don't want anything in a bland hotel room but don't want a registry office either. Anyone have any good ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Looe Island
Looe Island
143 Reviews
Looe, UK
Carnglaze Caverns
Carnglaze Caverns
466 Reviews
Liskeard, UK
Blue Hayes Hotel
Blue Hayes Hotel
#1 of 20 hotels in St Ives
The Oceanic Hotel
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 24 hotels in Falmouth
White House Newquay
White House Newquay
#1 of 36 hotels in Newquay
London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eloping to Cornwall....advice please on where!

Wow exciting! I know its not Cornwall but we went here in August http://www.tunnelsbeaches.co.uk/weddings.html and thought it looked a lovely quirky spot for a wedding. Probably worth ringing them to see if they'd do just the ceremony and no reception for a cheap.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
5,031 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eloping to Cornwall....advice please on where!

A work colleague is getting married at the Tunnels Beaches venue and I understand you have to have the whole package (i.e. their caterers, the whole show) if you get married there. Plus, Ilfracombe itself is not the prettiest of places, in all honesty.

Re Cornwall; have you looked at the Visit Cornwall's 'Get Married in Cornwall' section?

http://www.visitcornwall.com/weddings/

Near Looe, Fowey is very attractive. Or for more rugged coastline the area around Zennor? Or looking over at St Michael's Mount near Penzance?

Edited: 9:57 am, October 06, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Tunnels Beaches
Tunnels Beaches
1,391 Reviews
Ilfracombe, UK
Ilfracombe
Ilfracombe
Devon, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Looe
Looe
Cornwall, UK
Fowey
Fowey
Cornwall, UK
Zennor
Zennor
Cornwall, UK
St. Michael's Mount
St. Michael's Mount
3,841 Reviews
Marazion, UK
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eloping to Cornwall....advice please on where!

Here is anotherlink which lists some smaller venues too

weddingvenues.com/civil-wedding-Cornwall-0.h…

OMG .... I want to get married again!!

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eloping to Cornwall....advice please on where!

You must get the legal formalities sorted out. In England and Wales, you can only get legally married in places that have a licence to hold marriage ceremonies. You do need to provide two witnesses, so you cannot do precisely as you suggest. Registration staff cannot act as witnesses, but you could get strangers to do it, they only have to be at the whole ceremony and sign the marriage register. You also need to give notice of your intention to marry at your local register office (i'm assuming you are both British nationals), which must be done at least 16 days before the date of the marriage but not more than 12 months before. Your local office will let you know what documents are required and the cost.

I wouldn't rule out a register office wedding. My local office has a wedding room better than that provided by many hotels, and you can go wherever you wish after the ceremony. I emphasise that you cannot just turn up in Cornwall (or anywhere else) and just get married.

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eloping to Cornwall....advice please on where!

You'll find an official list of all venues in Cornwall at:-

www.cornwall.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=24790

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eloping to Cornwall....advice please on where!

We got married at a small hotel in St Ives. It was far from boring with our choice of ceremony, a fabulous choice of music, a few canapes and some gorgeous Camel Valley Brut and a gorgeous outside terrace and a backdrop of the turquoise sea on a gorgeous day with a blue sky and little fluffy clouds. I thought I wanted something quite wacky and had looked at getting married at a windmill in Norfolk but, as St Ives is my spiritual home, it had to be done there. It was just the best day ever. It was actually much more enjoyable because of its simplicity. Despite only having a few guests and a short ceremony, the day ran away with us and I was totally whacked later. My other half totally loved it and was also very happy with the simplicity of the day which meant we could enjoy ourselves to the max. We had a look at Registry Offices and decided that we didn't fancy that as we wanted a more spectacular location.

Good luck with your search. One thing I will say is that you will not regret getting married in Cornwall. If you need any help with how to do the formalities (which did seem unfathomable and complicated) then please private message me and I will be only too happy to help. It all seemed so complicated but it was surprisingly easy. Our Wedding came in on a very small budget but we had a luxury hotel and astonishingly beautiful location.

Suzi :-)

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Norfolk
Norfolk
East Anglia, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Sussex
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eloping to Cornwall....advice please on where!

Tunnels beaches does look lovely but yes you have to have the whole she-bang.

I'll have a look at Penzance as St Michaels Mount looks stunning. it would be good to find something that overlooked that.

Suzi - that sounds perfect and we are on a small budget too (and my partner is from Lichfield!)

I've just seen Trevarno gardens too online so will email them for details too.

We've totally sorted on the legal front and know what we've got to do and when so that's all cool. I've already got the approved venues list from the councils website too. Also the registry offices aren't particularly inspiring from the pictures I've seen. I suppose I'm looking for recommendations on best parts of cornwall and/or venues ultimately.

Mentioned in this post
Penzance
Penzance
Cornwall, UK
St. Michael's Mount
St. Michael's Mount
3,841 Reviews
Marazion, UK
Newquay, United...
Destination Expert
for Newquay, Cornwall
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eloping to Cornwall....advice please on where!

Hi, Congratulations to you both on forthcoming nuptials.

Lusty Glaze Beach here in Newquay does fantastic weddings. Its the whole package.

http://www.lustyglaze.co.uk/

Good luck to you both. Please let us know how it all go's

Mentioned in this post
Newquay
Newquay
Cornwall, UK
Cambs
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eloping to Cornwall....advice please on where!

The Tunnels Beaches looks fantastic - I may divorce my husband of 27 years and do it all again there! We love Cornwall and this year we had a few meals at the Talland Bay Hotel, near Polperro, which I believe you are able to get married at - it is really beautiful with views to die for, the food was fantastic as well - one to look at maybe? Good luck wherever you decide on!

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Talland Bay Hotel
Talland Bay Hotel
954 Reviews
Porthallow, UK
Polperro
Polperro
Cornwall, UK
Mawgan...
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Eloping to Cornwall....advice please on where!

be careful as latest news reports lusty glaze has gone insolvent