We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to stay in Cornwall..

london
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place to stay in Cornwall..

HI!!

I want to go to Cornwall with my friends for 2 nights and 3 days, where is the best place to go with such limited time?

I've read the other posts and most are suggesting St. Ives then I read that St. Ives mostly have shops and stuff. I would like scenic walking routes and seaside stuff... where can we go??

Please help.. thanks so very much!!!:D:D:D

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place to stay in Cornwall..

St Ives would be fine. It has great beaches , scenic walks along the cliff/coast paths. Easy transport links from London(train) Not sure how you are getting there though.

There are lively pubs, good restaurants and a good atmosphere in the evenings.

There are plenty of other places in Cornwall, but look at this and see if its the sort of place you would like. www.stives-cornwall.co.uk/about-stives.html

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place to stay in Cornwall..

Hi I would stay in Falmouth and do a day trips out and about .......there are other scenic places and can advise if you want me to?? Falmouth has a good mix of shops high street and boutiques, plenty of restaurants to suit all tastes, mix of traditional family pubs or wine bars! Beaches galore all safe for swimming :) or going for a stroll. Things to see/do: Water activities from Swanpool beach in Falmouth, Bowling, Merlin Cinema or more cultural ... Pendennis Castle or take the ferry to St.Mawes Castle. Ships and Castles leisure complex, NT gardens. The City of Truro Is 9 miles away, well worth going good high street stores and coffee shops etc., . B&B, Guest Houses, Hotels are plentiful too....Falmouth Hotel, Royal Duchy Hotel, St.Michaels Hotel, Falmouth Beach Hotel all have indoor pools and are opposite the beach on Falmouth Seafront or do a Google and if you choose a few you like the look of happy to offer any advice if I can.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,554 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place to stay in Cornwall..

How about somewhere in North Cornwall for your scenic walks? The coast around the Tintagel area is spectacular.

plymouth
Level Contributor
113 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place to stay in Cornwall..

yeah st.ives is a great place. Just as nice would be north cornwall, padstow/rock area, great beaches, very pretty, plenty of walks ect and also close to newquay. Recommended beaches nearby (daymer bay in rock, hawkers cove, harlyn bay and polzeath.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place to stay in Cornwall..

I'd go for Fowey in that case.

Dartmoor National...
Level Contributor
139 posts
1,297 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place to stay in Cornwall..

Personally I would go for St Ives.

Yes there are shops but there is plenty of coast path walking around nearby Zennor/The Gurnards Head. There are also some excelllent beaches in St Ives - personally I think Porthmeor is the best.

Oxford
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place to stay in Cornwall..

St Ives! Has it all. Beautiful scenery. Shops. Restaurants. Galleries. Beaches. Scenic walks. Plenty to do for all ages and tastes. You will not be disappointed!

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Place to stay in Cornwall..

If you wouldn't know any better, you'd almost think that the Tripadvisor Cornwall Forum has been hi-jacked by the St. Ives Tourist Board. There are so many gorgeous places in Cornwall, yet almost any 'where to stay' enquiry leads to dozens and dozens of 'go to St. Ives' responses.

So if you're after a nice place not overrun by Tripadvisor users, maybe give St. Ives a wide birth!

PS don't get me wrong: I do like St. Ives!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,554 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Place to stay in Cornwall..

I think the problem is most visitors to Cornwall go to St Ives and think it is the only place to go. I also like St Ives, despite the gulls who like to use me as target practice, but there are lots of other very beautiful places that might just suit some people's needs better.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Place to stay in Cornwall..

There have been suggestions for Falmouth, North Cornwall inc Padstow and Tintagel and for Fowey, so i can't see what you are getting at. The OP mentioned St Ives in their original(and only) contribution so its only natural people will pick up on that and give their thoughts.

I do agree about it getting overrun. I was trying to drive along the seafront to get to a job last week and it was just a sea of people, like a football crowd milling around. Impossible to drive thru. I think it is THE place to go in Cornwall these days, having taken over from Newquay, whose reputation goes before it with much bad press about who it attracts and their behaviour. But as you say there are many other beautiful places in Cornwall. St Ives just ticks all the boxes for a great holiday.