We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best B&B websites

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best B&B websites

Hello... there seems to be a lot of websites full of B&Bs. Its all very disjointed. Can folks suggest what they believe to be the best one or two websites to locate 4 star or better B&Bs? Cheers

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best B&B websites

I always use the 'visit' websites wherever I go, so would recommend this one:

visitcornwall.com/site/places-to-stay/b-and-b

you have to be aware though that the star system can be different everywhere you go, I personally check the reviews rather than the stars.

Edited: 5:04 pm, November 20, 2010
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best B&B websites

Or you could find a guide book that you trust, like Sawdays, and use that.

sawdays.co.uk

'special places'

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best B&B websites

Hi there

I've stayed at some superb B & Bs in Cornwall over the years. Which towns are you specifically looking at?

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best B&B websites

GB... I am staying a few nights near Blisland... then wish 2 nights further south... I like the idea of a small coastal hamlet... but i am also aware of the small villages being ravished by tourists... i dont like high density tourism... early june is penciled in for this (well before UK skool holidays)... places in the UK that I love (and hence seek a southern cornwall equivalent): Robin Hoods Bay (nr whitby), the east coast of scotland (arbroath to a certain extent, johnshaven). I absolutely hate english seaside (party) resorts and places like southend. I am interested in good quality bed and breakfasts. The standard being equivalent to 4 star/diamond or whatever the system is called. I am not strict on a place being rated but must offer something charming, friendly, clean and offer a great breakfast...in the UK I find anything below a 4 star can be 'average' and disappointing... If the B&B can be close to an awesome local pub then even better. I like great pub grub and fresh simple seafood. I dont really go for the super dooper gastropubs or places that bastardise food (TV chefs, michelin etc)... I liked your recent suggestion re St Ives to St Ewes but cant seem to hunt down much... even on the sawdays website... I also just posted a query for some other spots... :)

Mentioned in this post
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best B&B websites

Early June is a very good time to come as the weather should be fine, (hopefully)! everything should be open but kids still at school as you say.

Do you really have to book in advance?

Most B & B's will be open and VERY unlikely to be full unless it is a holiday, I have no calendar yet to check.

You could come down and choose a place yourself because not all B& B's are on websites, because as you say it is very confusing.

Nearly all the sites charge quite a bit to be featured so many B & B's don't bother. I should know!

Each year new B & B websites appear just to add to your confusion.

For small coastal hamlets the Lizard peninsular takes some beating and is our favourite area to visit and is missed by many visitors. Superb scenery and lovely little harbours.

Some great old pubs there too and far from the party resorts like Newquay.

On our local TV last night I heard that they will be having scheduled flights to and from Germany to Newquay next year which could be useful to you, unless you are driving here.

You can hire cars at the airport if you come that route.

Enjoy your trip

Mentioned in this post
Lizard
Lizard
Cornwall, UK
Newquay
Newquay
Cornwall, UK
Germany
Germany
Europe
Cumbria
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best B&B websites

Its really difficult to hunt down good quality B&B amongst a lot of dross. I've been looking myself ready for next year and the best one I've came up with so far is Castallack Farm, Lamorna. Great location - beautiful part of Cornwall - if you get that far down you must visit Minack Theatre. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Minack Theatre
Minack Theatre
4,131 Reviews
Penzance, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Level Contributor
263 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best B&B websites

Absolutely Sawdays: www.sawdays.co.uk. They stand head and shoulder over the others.

Either way, whatever you use, go fo the ones that let you contact the owner direct. Those that don't are commission charging ones (20 - 30% no exception), and you have to ask how desparate an owner must be for business to be prepared to pay such sums to get people through the door.

8. Re: Best B&B websites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:46 am, May 22, 2011