We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath to Cornwall for 3 Nights

New Zealand
Level Contributor
817 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Bath to Cornwall for 3 Nights

Hi, My husband and I are visiting the UK in May and June and would love to explore the Devon and Cornwall area.

At this stage we plan to get the train from London to Bath in mid June and spend one night there. Then we are thinking of hiring a car and heading to Cornwall. We would like to stay in a B&B somewhere central where car parking isn't a problem because of narrow streets. We'd like somewhere scenic (I know that it all is) where we can walk to a beach or fishing village, with nice fish restaurants and cafes plus reasonably quiet for two middle aged travellers.

Must sees for us are St Ives, Penzance and Plymouth so that covers a reasonable distance to make everything very confusing.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath to Cornwall for 3 Nights

Hi

Just a quick aside: You will find it a challenge to find a B&B for a 1 night minimum stay in Bath at weekends (so best avoid that if you can tweak your plans). Also, the car hire places in Bath usually close by about midday on a Saturday and are closed all day Sunday.

Is there anything you particularly wanted to see on the way down to Devon & Cornwall (obvious choices might be driving down there over the Somerset levels have looked at Glastonbury and Wells) or perhaps detouring over Dartmoor. Another way down would be to head to Dunster, Poorlock and Lynton & Lynmouth on the north coast?

If you didn't really want to do this, then you could then think about taking the train down part of the way instead. I just looked at a random date in May and you seem to be able to get down to Plymouth in about 2 1/2-3 hrs with prices starting from £8.50 each one-way. Penzance is more like 5 hours away, but again prices start at £11.50 one-way (it's a long way!).

That might be a less tiring way to start your trip down there.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath to Cornwall for 3 Nights

Hi there

Penzance and Plymouth are the best part of a hundred miles apart so your best bet would be to stop in Plymouth on the way down into Cornwall. otherwise, you will need to do a lot of backtracking in the car. So, see Plymouth en route, then take the A38 across the Tamar Bridge into Cornwall.

When you say "see Penzance and St Ives" I take it you'd like to take in some of the lovely sights in the surrounding areas as well as the towns themselves? And then, what about other sights/places throughout Cornwall? It's a long county, and again, if you could give us a bit more info about what/where you really want to see, then we can suggest a good base or even two bases to cut down on the driving.

Polperro would tick all your boxes as far as narrow streets, B & Bs and fishing harbours are concerned but it wouldn't be a sensible base if all the sights you want to see are in the far west.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
817 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath to Cornwall for 3 Nights

sueduncBath,

We plan to stay in Bath on the Monday night and I am looking for a nice hotel there (any suggestions welcomed) so we can spend a little more time there rather than just doing a day trip from London.

I do like your suggestion of taking the train to Plymouth or Penzance. We intended to go directly to Cornwall as we only have three days there (Tuesday to Thursday)and felt we should get as far west as possible to make the most of seeing as many small villages as possible.

GB,

I liked the look of the B&B you were recommending in Penzance. Is it possible to hire a car in that area just for 2 or 3 days as that would surely be the best way of getting to small fishing villages rather than via public transport. We come from NZ so drive on the same side of the road and we have hired cars on previous trips but only north of London.

Thanks for your help.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bath to Cornwall for 3 Nights

HI Toddy04

I've no idea of your budget, but take a look at this boutique hotel that opened a few days ago:

http://www.thehalcyon.com/

I'd say it is 5 minutes from Bath station and stumbling distance to the Abbey and Roman Baths. Go to the Bath forum to ask for suggestions above/below this price bracket (and don't be afraid to say if you are just looking for hostel accommodation).

When you visit in mid-June sunrise ought to be about 5:30 in the morning, with sunset about 9:30pm so there is plenty of time for sightseeing for the uber-keen.

Is Cornwall your last destinationin the UK? You might like to look at Newquay so you can fly back to London (or fly down there from Bristol, for that matter!). Also look at getting back to London Paddington with an overnight sleeper train from Penzance or other stations in Cornwall (see www.fgw.co.uk).

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
920 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bath to Cornwall for 3 Nights

Toddy04,

Unless you've a particular reason to vist Plymouth I'd suggest that you give it a miss for this trip and head straight from Bath to Penzance which, although not that pretty a place in itself, will give you excellent access to St Ives, St Michaels Mount, Mousehole, The Lizard, Lands End, Porthcurno, Minack Theatre and so on. Plenty to fill 3 days. The train trip from Penzance to St Ives is a delight and is much the best way of arriving in St Ives as parking can be a nightmare even in low season. For any other trips, a car would be by far the best option and allow you to see more places in a short time.

I can't help with a B and B but a quick look at the TA hotel review section tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g186240-Penzance_Corn…

suggests that you shouldn't have any problem in finding a good one.

Enjoy your stay.

St Ives, Cornwall
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bath to Cornwall for 3 Nights

I'd agree with the suggestion to give Plymouth a miss if you have limited time. Nothing against the place - but there honestly isn't much to see there.

Might also be a good idea to take the train from Bath to Penzance - an excellent base to explore the far west.

You can hire a car at Penzance railway station - but might be a good idea to book in advance:

novacarhire.com/car-hire/United_Kingdom/Penz…

Yes - St Ives is a "must see" - but I'm biased as I live there ! As mentioned - easy to get to by train from Penzance.

My other "must see" would be the Minack Theatre.

http://www.minack.com/

Oates Travel usually run a coach there during the week, with a pickup at Penzance Bus Station:

http://www.oatestravel.co.uk/

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip !

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
914 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bath to Cornwall for 3 Nights

We have visited Cornwall three times. We enjoyed staying at the Headlands Hotel, right on the cliff, near Tintagel and at Housel Bay Hotel, also right on a cliff on the Lizard, convenient for St. Michel's Mount and not too far from Penzance (which we found a bit too large to be appealing). Both hotels are reasonably priced and small, although a little bigger than a B and B. Between these two locations, most of Cornwall was accessible. Places we enjoyed visiting in SW England, starting near Bath and going around the perimeter and mostly in order: Wells, Glastonbury, Tintagel, Zennor, Men-en-Tol, Merry Maidens, Mousehole, Lost Gardens of Heligan, Jamaica Inn and Dozmary Pool, Restormel Castle, Cadbury Hill. Lots of fun little villages on the south coast.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
817 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bath to Cornwall for 3 Nights

Thank you sammysgranny, steve and history teacher for all your helpful replies, I greatly appreciate all your advice.

I agree now that I should no longer include Plymouth and am convinced that getting the train to Penzance is the way to go. We are a very fit middle aged couple and may decide just to take the train and walk between villages.

I now need to do a lot more research as I don't want to miss anything worthwhile. I will let you know what decisions I make.

Thanks, Toddy

New Zealand
Level Contributor
817 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bath to Cornwall for 3 Nights

Hi sueduncBATH,

Thanks for the Halcyon link, it looks and sounds lovely and the price and location are good too, hopefully it will be quiet on a Monday night.

Daylight hours will be perfect to fit in as much as possible in such a gorgeous place.

From Cornwall we will go back to London to meet up with family and then have 28 hours of flying time back to NZ. We'll probably avoid yet another flight and didn't consider Newquay because it is large and from what I've gleaned, more directed at the younger set.

Thanks, Toddy

10. Re: Bath to Cornwall for 3 Nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 31, 2010