We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in Cornwall

London
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New Years Eve in Cornwall

Hi,

I would really like to get out of London for New Years Eve this year.

I have heard that Cornwall is a good place to spend the celebrations with fireworks, fancy dress and parties on the beaches.

I've spent a number of summers travelling in Cornwall and absolutly love it, but have no idea where a good base would be for New Years.

I'd love to hear anyone's suggestions, so I can book early enough for this year!!

Thanks v much

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve in Cornwall

St Ives would definitely be a good base for New Year with easily accessible beaches, great restaurants, pubs and bars, lots of fancy dress parties and possibly quite mild temperatures at that time of the year.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve in Cornwall

Hi

I would second that. St Ives is the place for you.

Most towns and bigger villages have New Year celebrations but St Ives is probably the best and second only to Newquay for life,but attracts less of the stag/hen type parties and has a fantatic atmosphere.

Braunton, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve in Cornwall

Yes I agree with Superunknown and Badcat, St Ives it is ... but as you say you need to book early and if you really want to enter into the spirit of it wear fancy dress!!!

Cornwall
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve in Cornwall

I haven't been to St Ives for New Year for about five years or so, but had three great years of it. The first year we didn't dress up, and felt like right fools, because you could count on two hands the number of people who hadn't!

The other two years we were with friends and went in fancy dress. The friends had to book accommodation, and many (most?) places in St Ives require a minimum of three nights stay over the New Year. Some say they are doing this to ensure people don't head off home on New Years day still drunk from the night before, which is a conceivable reaon...another is that they do it because they can! ;-)

It's a very popular destination for New Year's Eve. You definitely want to book now! Likewise for restaurants. Some have two fixed sittings and require payment in advance, which led to us securing a great restaurant for as long as we wanted it that evening prior to heading out.

Great atmosphere each time though, no trouble, full of families enjoying the festivities. The only time I saw someone start to get aggressive about someone bumping into them, everyone around him immediately mocked holding up their handbags and saying "oooooooh, he got pushed!!", and laughing, which diffused the situation.

There were fireworks in the harbour, pubs selling drinks out of the windows (in plastic), and a lighthearted atmosphere. The last time we went it sounded as though the police were suggesting there could be trouble, but we think they were saying that just to minimise numbers, as it was just as chilled as on the previous two occasions. Police weren't seizing alcohol, but were taking away glass bottles from people, so we took our wine in plastic.

I'll shut up now - I would think it would still be a good choice.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve in Cornwall

Hi there

I lived in Polperro for several years and we always spent NYE in Looe where just about everyone turns out in fancy dress. Great friendly atmosphere and lots of pubs and clubs to include on the "crawl". Loads of accommodation in Looe as well and probably a bit cheaper than St Ives, not of course that there's ANYTHING wrong with St Ives.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve in Cornwall

I owuld echo GB about Looe. It will becheaper than St Ives, maybe a bit easier to get accommodation if you don't leave it too late (start looking now!) and the atmosphere there is fantastic!

You won't go wrong with either St Ives or Looe, but do make sure you dress up, that's the fun of it all!

Have a brilliant time

Burnham-On-Sea...
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve in Cornwall

I would have to say Newquay!! Its a brilliant night out and even better on New Years Eve!!

Iv had some amazing nights out down there.

:)

London
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve in Cornwall

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for all your replies, really appreciate it.

I really like the sound of New Years in St Ives. I started looking for accomodation this evening, & most places are fully booked already!!

So far, the only hotel i can find with availability is the Porthminster. It looks like they have stunning views, and it seems close to the town (perfect for me, as will leave car at home) but the reviews are very mixed.

Hopefully i will be able to find somewhere to stay, & then all i'll have to do is think of a fancy dress costume (it will be my first time in fancy dress!!)

Thanks v much again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years Eve in Cornwall

I would definitely recommend St Ives for the fancy dress beach parties.

If you prefer to stay somewhere quiter, why not try Carbis Bay, just a 1 mile walk to Portminster Beach in St Ives and yet just far enough for a quite stay in this more residential area with its own beach. There is a selection of boutique hotels and smart holiday apartments to choose from.

Have fun !

newquay10
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years Eve in Cornwall

hi, ive got a place booked for newquay for new years eve, does any1 know whether u need tickets for the clubs and bars ect

thanks