We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where?

London
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where?

My partner and i would like to visit cornwall over an august wkend for my bday. But the problem is we just dont know where to go? Im from London & rarely get opportunity to discover this part of UK.

We dont drive so the palce would have to accessible by train & taxi. We also want to avoid crowds of families on holiday and go somewhere quiet with a nice beach and great country walks. Ive looked on internet but this is no good (it only comes up with bigish seaside towns that will prob be pakced with tourists). Personal recommendations wanted.

Please, please can anyone help. We urgently need help!

Fowey, Cornwall
Level Contributor
152 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where?

I would recommend Fowey (pronouced Foy). I live here and have no hesitation that it will be perfect. Get a train to Par and it is a three mile taxi ride from there.

You'll find lots to do over the bank holiday weekend here and it is a beautiful, romantic spot - more for couples than families. 'Hall Walk', a four mile walk around the river is stunning and there are lovely coastal walks in both directions. Great places to eat out in the evening too. There's always plenty to see as Fowey is sited on the mouth of the river which is a haven for yachts and boats of all shapes and sizes. There is a small beach at the harbour entrance, by a small castle, but why not walk to Lantic Bay which is across the passenger to Polruan and then along the coastal path. This can only be accessible by walking so doesn't get crowded and is a bit of a secret hideaway!

There is a full range of accommodation. For B&Bs - try the Greenbank (if you can get the room which has a balcony overlooking the estuary) 22 Daglands Road, Fowey, 01726 832137 or the Galleon Inn (a good pub) which is in the heart of town. For hotels, the old Quay House has been recently restored and has been highly recommended, the Marina Hotel is also good, and the lovely Fowey Hotel has panoramic views. Try the local tourist information website for contact details on all the above places: www.foweytown.co.uk

England
Level Contributor
340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where?

A personal favourite of mine is Port Isaac - in North Cornwall - check out this website and you will see why.

http://www.uk-cornwallexplore.co.uk

I also like Mevagissey - on South Coast - some nice eateries and also picturesque. Ditto with website below.

http://www.mevagissey.net/

York
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where?

If you want to avoid crowds of families don't go to Cornwall in August! It is understandably popular with families as they are generally seeking reasonable prices and beaches. But what downwithblair says makes good sense (and that is not just the name!). I grew up near Fowey and this place should more than meet your needs. I shall have to have a word though as the Lantic Bay route is giving away a great secret! There are plenty of walking routes that will take you off to just the places you desire. Grab a pasty from Richard Kittows’ next to the church to take for lunch. Following the coastal path west is a pleasant route and you can stop off at Polkerris for a pint at the Rasleigh (I worked behind the bar more than 25 years ago, but despite my absence it stills retains a moderate amount of charm). Drag yourself up the hill and you can catch a bus back to Fowey.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where?

Hello there, I would recommend you start in Fowey and drive along the coastal roads as far as St. Mawes. Then go back to the King Harry Ferry and to Truro (our local "city").

I did this route a couple of weeks ago and it really is so pretty and there are lots of things to see and do on the way (Charlestown, Mevagissey, Gorran Haven, Veryan, Heligan Gardens, St Just-in-Roseland, Caerhays Castle). If you purely drive the route it will take you about two hours so there is plenty of time for stops.

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where?

Not driving can be difficult here, and I can't be that helpful, but Truro station is in the city, and will be quieter than the coast over the bank holiday, especially if the weather is good as it empies out. You can get a bus from there for days trips - don't miss the Eden Project (where Ian Brown (ex Stone Roses) is playing on the Saturday, and Basement Jaxx on the Friday (tickets only on ebay for that one). Also, hop back on the train for a day in Penzance/St Ives. If you need hotels in Truro, let me know,

Have a great time,

JM

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
707 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where?

Many beach resorts that are easily accessible are likely to be busy during this time of year, especially at weekends. many quiet ones are because they are off the beaten track & less well known - but public transport is not so good.

The sugegstions above are good but you coud try going to Falmouth, and taking boat to nearby St Mawes, which should be quieter, and beautiful. You can get train to Falmouth from London, with 1 change in Truro. Journey in toatl takes in region 5 hours. In case you are not aware - trains will be very busy ex London, so would advised travelling off peak, if you have not already booked. If you can travel very early in the morning, or late in evening it should be much quieter.