We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best cornish pastie? best glass cider?

burton on trent
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best cornish pastie? best glass cider?

Title says it all, advice please. We are staying at st Mellion near saltash/ callington. Also is there a good pub near our location?

Toronto & Polperro...
Level Contributor
23 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best cornish pastie? best glass cider?

There are two nice pubs in Saltash both down by the river Tamar under the shadow of the Brunel Bridge. Access is at the bridge end of the High Street. Just follow the road down. I favour the Union Inn and you can sit outside and watch the world go by.

For pasties, you have to travel to St Austell, to a little man called Mr Greenaway who used to own a chain of bakeries, but is now retired and owns just one tucked away behind the houses in Gover Road. Just ask someone when you find Gover Road, it is down the driveway access of about the 5th house on the right. It is worth the search, I guarantee.

For cider, you want Rita and Colin Vincent's Haye Farm cider. They are one of the top 5 cider makers in the country and have a farm at Lerryn near Fowey. You can try a pint at either Crumplehorn Inn, or the Blue Peter in Polperro. Alan Butter's Polperro Bakery does a fine pasty as well, but none compare to Mr Greenaways. Martin's Dairy in Looe also do a good cheese and onion pastie.

Should finish by saying that I am the outgoing landlord of Crumplehorn Inn after being there 17 1/2 years. I now live in Canada.