We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

plymouth/saltash/ liskeard/ tavistock concerts activities

burton on trent
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
plymouth/saltash/ liskeard/ tavistock concerts activities

Hi we are visiting above area in a few weeks and would love to find some stuff for my daughters and myself to do. (daddy will be golfing) we have already booked canoeing on the tamar, the girls would love to pony trek or quad bike etc. I like to walk and brouse antique shops etc. would value advice. thanks sally

Toronto & Polperro...
Level Contributor
23 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: plymouth/saltash/ liskeard/ tavistock concerts activities

For concerts check Plymouth Pavilions. There are Quad bikes at Great Trethew Manor which is on the A38 between Trerulefoot and Liskeard. Give Liskeard a miss, unless you want to shop at Safeways/Morrisons out of town supermarket!

My old website (I am now retired) has a good list of attractions for Devon and Cornwall.

www.crumplehorn-inn.co.uk/leisure/index.html

I think there is still pony trecking at Lansallos between Polperro and Fowey.

burton on trent
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: plymouth/saltash/ liskeard/ tavistock concerts activities

thanks crumple horn, will check out your site

Cornwall
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: plymouth/saltash/ liskeard/ tavistock concerts activities

Sally

I have just found your email from last year on tripadvisor.com and would like to tell you about my hotel in Liskeard. It is in an ideal location for all your family to do what they want. Liskeard is an ideal central location for touring Cornwall and Plymouth and it is by a main railway line station so if Husband has taken the car golfing you then can take the train up or down wherever you want to. Visit our website

www.nebula-hotel.com. We have a lovely home from home hotel. It is very relaxing.

Regrds

Tracy Frewer

Fowey, Cornwall
Level Contributor
152 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: plymouth/saltash/ liskeard/ tavistock concerts activities

My favourite walk in the area is Golitha Falls, along the River Fowey. It's near Liskeard, though I quite agree with the previous post, there's little else to recommend in Liskeard. Heading off onto Bodmin Moor for walks (Cheesewring, Hurlers) etc. is also worth doing. As for antique shops, Tavistock is great for wandering around. Not sure what the Theatre Royal, Plymouth will have on when you are down but it's a great theatre. Just give the Chuckle brothers panto a miss which is on at the moment!!

Toronto & Polperro...
Level Contributor
23 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: plymouth/saltash/ liskeard/ tavistock concerts activities

Yes, that was probably a bit unfair about Liskeard. It certainly is central, but not very pretty as a tourist destination or a reason to go there for a tourism attraction. They even closed the livestock market. So what do we have? The areas main police station, the hospital, the council offices, Calweton Vetinary Centre, a main post office, all the big banks and some shops. On a more positive note, there is a great pasty shop Barnecuts, and Oughs hardware shop that is like walking into a time warp. I suppose the church could be an attraction? Anything else you can recommend?

Hotel Nebula is good though, and a member of South East Cornwall Tourism Association, so a good indicator of a quality inspected hotel.

Has 'Webbs Hotel' had anything done with it yet? Beautiful building, but such a shame to se it boarded up and/or covered in scaffolding.

Fowey, Cornwall
Level Contributor
152 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: plymouth/saltash/ liskeard/ tavistock concerts activities

Last time I was in Liskeard they were still doing up Webbs. Being done 'dreckly' I think!! Yes, Crumplehorn, what a pity that Liskeard just doesn't hit the mark. The potential is so great. Mind you, it's the same story with another ideally located town - St Austell. What are they doing with the town there!? Went to the filmcentre over the holidays, having parked on the bulldozed site of the old multi storey carpark. Need I say more ...

Quite agree about Barnies pasties. By far the best in Cornwall!

Toronto & Polperro...
Level Contributor
23 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: plymouth/saltash/ liskeard/ tavistock concerts activities

Yes St Austell is another place that isn't on the 'must visit' list (apart from the brewery) _unless_ you want the very finest pasties I have ever tasted. There is a tiny hidden bakery owned by a man that used to have a chain of bakers shops and is now retired. He just kept one little place open. It is well worth a trip to St Austell just to search him out. He also provides the pasties for the St Austell Brewery pub visits.

His name is Mr Greenaway and the bakery is in Gover Road. As you enter Gover Road from the town you immediately go over a railway bridge. About 6 houses on the right hand side there is a driveway that goes down behind the houses. Walk down there and his bakery is on the right hand side.

The thing that makes his pasties great is good ingredients and pastry that is well seasoned and not 'lardy'. I am a chef and they are as good as the ones I make!

Fowey, Cornwall
Level Contributor
152 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: plymouth/saltash/ liskeard/ tavistock concerts activities

Thanks Crumplehorn, I'll try these!