We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! The Best Place in Cornwall?

East Anglia
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help! The Best Place in Cornwall?

Im coming to Cornwall with my boyfriend in the next month or so and need some help choosing a location.We want to be very near the coast with wonderful clifftop walks and beaches with rock pools so i can relive my childhood! but with gorgeous countryside nearby.Ive done Boscastle which was perfect but would like to try somewhere new.We dont want anywhere too touristy,im very near Gt Yarmouth in Norfolk and amusement arcades and candy floss dont appeal! I probably sound really picky but this'll be our first holiday in a year so i want it to be really lovely.Fowey sounds nice on previous postings,as does Padstow.

I'd really appreciate any help at all.Thankyou!

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! The Best Place in Cornwall?

Padstow and Fowey are good but don't have much in the way of beach, in Padstow its a ferry across the river.

You might want to consider Bude, Treyarnon, Polzeath, or Harlyn which are the childhood places where I got all these things. With the swing from hotels to self catering, Bude is the only one where I know there are still hotels. The others are all near Padstow.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! The Best Place in Cornwall?

St. Ives is quite wonderful. I just posted another message about it, so try a search on here for St. Ives to see the details. It's my husband's favorite place in all of England. We did love the wild and rocky coast path there.

Potters Bar, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! The Best Place in Cornwall?

Hi there

I would recommend Falmouth or the Helford just nearby it has superb coastal footpaths for you to follow with lovely scenery too. Boscastle (and the rest of the North Coast ie., Padstow, Newquay (definately avoid!) is completely different to the South Coast it has lots of esturarys and creeks with lovely boat trips up and down the creeks taking you to Truro (our city) or along the Helford very tranquil. There are lots of choices of accommodation too from Sea view Flats to quaint cottages all to suit a range of budgets! The restaurants in Falmouth are nice to suit all tastes and age groups. Not a slot machine in site on our Seafront just views of Pendennis Castle and the sea beyond! If you would like any other information please don't hesitate to ask and i hope you have a lovely stay whereever you end up!

East Anglia
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! The Best Place in Cornwall?

Thanks very much for all your help! after several very late night scouring the net i think we may go back tintagel/boscastle way because of the gorgeous rugged cliffs and the lashing seas

Fowey, Cornwall
Level Contributor
152 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! The Best Place in Cornwall?

Are you sure? Your first idea of Padstow was really good. The cliff top walks near the Camel Estuary and Padstow are amazing - try the Rumps at Pentire which are near Polzeath. Quintessential Cornwall. Lovely beaches nearby too such as Daymer Bay, Trevone, Harlyn etc. etc. Trevone has a great rocky beach where you can go rock pooling to your heart's content. For unsurpassed scenery Fowey has it all.

uk
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! The Best Place in Cornwall?

Dont ignore POLPERRO, its probably the quintessential Cornish fishing village, Boscastle is struggling to rebuild after the flood so its not a great prospect at this time. If you have a vehicle Polperro is a good base to travel from.

Cornwall
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! The Best Place in Cornwall?

I live in Cornwall and regularly visit beaches all over cornwall. I have to say that my favourite by far are those on the north coast. Treyarnon, Harlyn, Constantine etc are all on the same costal walk. The beaches have white sand and clear blue water. My favourite of all is Treyarnon as it is unspoilt with plently of rock pools. The costal walk on the cliffs takes you along all the beaches and the views are amazing. Up on trevose head you are up on cliff tops and see a huge variety of sea birds. You also spot buzzards and kestrels. The sea off parts of the cliff tops looks green and you feel like you are in the med. Fishing from these rocks if great too.

I can't recommend this area highly enough, I live over an hours drive away but go there every weekend. You find it never gets too crowded as so many people are unfamiliar with this area.

When the weather is nice, this area is nicer than many other places in Europe. I love it!!!

London
Level Contributor
401 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! The Best Place in Cornwall?

Just echoing ilovsumma's sentiments. Being going to the section of coast between Watergate Bay and Padstow since I was a little kid, and still love it. Mind you I'd struggle to find a bad word to say about Cornwall.

Cheshire
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! The Best Place in Cornwall?

Hello

Just joined this forum as thinking of going to cornwall for a few days in august.

where did you go in the end and can you recommend

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! The Best Place in Cornwall?

Hi

Yes- -Polperro would be a good base for exploring the rest of Cornwall but the village has two main disadvantages (and I love the place, I used to live there).

Firstly, few properties within the village have anything in the way of parking space, and secondly, Polperro's beach is OK , (a bit gritty and shingly) but only accessible at low tide.

My choice would be to look at basing your selves on the north coast where there are some stunning beaches such as Polzeath, Holywell Bay, Constantine Bay or Harlyn. They are close to the large resorts if you need them but are far less busy and frenentic than say Perranporth and Newquay.

Also, you could venture further south and look at Gwithian at the northern end of Hayle Towans. Some of this enormous, long beach is used by the various holiday parks that front the coast here but there are still vast areas that are still almost empty in high season.