We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cornwall visit

Canton, OH
Level Contributor
254 posts
48 reviews
Cornwall visit

I hope to visit Cornwall this May as a solo traveler. I like to research my options, but does anyone have any recommendations for a solo traveler who loves great food, historical insight, and privacy but local interaction as well?

3 replies to this topic
Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,347 posts
839 reviews
1. Re: Cornwall visit

Sure. But a lot depends on how you are getting around, your budget and what you like to see. For example, if you arrive say at Penzance by train perhaps from London, you are already really close to St. Ives, one of the most picturesque towns in Cornwall which also happens to be a haven for artists, and has a beautiful little harbour and nice sandy beach. and you are also near to the Lizard peninsula which is famous for it's small villages like Mousehol and it's serpentine rock formation. Then further west you are at Lands End, the most westerly point of mainland UK. I know that there are some very excellent restaurants in St. Ives, but I don't know the names, perhaps you can research them.

If you fancy surfing, then many of the beaches on northern Cornwall coast are excellent, some of these are Newquay especially Fistral Beach where they hold international surf contests, but also Porthtowan, Sennen and Polzeath.

Cornwall is famous for it's history of tin mining so there are the remains of the mines all over Cornwall. It also has Tintagel Castle of King Arthur fame which is quite a nice visit.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,294 posts
440 reviews
2. Re: Cornwall visit

Get some facts on a piece of paper - how long am I there, where am I travelling from, do I want to tour or stay in one place, if touring what means of transport (well planned you can do a lot by public transport) then start researching what fits your parameters; look for a decent guidebook and websites like this one https://www.visitcornwall.com/ get an outline itinerary worked out and ask for comment here.

england
Level Contributor
6,687 posts
129 reviews
3. Re: Cornwall visit

7th and 28th May are bank holidays here so are popular times to go on holidays. The weeks including those dates everywhere will already be booking up. So the research needs to be done quickly.

Padstow has several famous restaurants - Paul Ainsowrth at number 6 and Rick Stein's the Seafood restaurant. They will both give you good food at prices considerably lower than you would pay in London but these are not places to go on a budget.

Cornwall is always popular so book up soon. Single rooms will be cheaper but there wont be many available.

For better help more information as already requested.

Edited: 4:22 am, December 03, 2017
Reply to: Cornwall visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted