We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfer to different train in Chester

Which Chester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
49 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
transfer to different train in Chester

Two of us will be going from Winderemere to Llandudno with two suitcases. If I recall we have to transfer in Chester from Virgin Trains to I believe Arriva. The transfer time is about 10 minutes or less. Is this a problem in Chester?

Also on return, we are going from Llandudno to London Euston and we will need to transfer again in Chester. This time the transfer is time is 8 minutes. Can this be done?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,477 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: transfer to different train in Chester

Would not have thought so

nationalrail.co.uk/SME/…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transfer to different train in Chester

It's not a problem; but should you miss the connection for any reason you simply get the next train.

Chester is not a large station.

Edited: 8:13 am, April 17, 2014
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5,775 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transfer to different train in Chester

If you've bought one ticket (ie Llandudno-Windermere) then the connection is within normal tolerance and should there be a delay in the first train AFAIK you're entitled to use your ticket on the next connecting train.

I've just checked the National Rail journey planner and there are several different routes between Llandudno (or Llandudno Junction) and Windermere with changes at different stations (Manchester Oxford Road, Warrington Bank Quay were the two I say most as options). Best check which station your routing has!

NJ
Level Contributor
49 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transfer to different train in Chester

Thank you.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transfer to different train in Chester

As CheresX says you're much more likely to change at Warrington to a train that goes direct to Llandudno Junction via Chester. You will need two changes one at either Oxenholme or Lancaster to Virgin West Coast line to WBQ and then to North Wales. There are lifts at stations and a change at WBQ should not be a problem.

On your return you will change at Chester ( though there are direct trains from North Wales to Euston) but again there are lifts.

Edited: 9:47 am, April 17, 2014
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transfer to different train in Chester

Chester is not a big station and there are lifts if you need to cross over the lines and don't want to carry luggage. 8 or 10 minutes does not seem a problem to me, unless the first train runs slow of course. Good luck!

7. Re: transfer to different train in Chester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 19, 2015