We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Mini Trip Report - Chester

Which Chester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
A Mini Trip Report - Chester

Hi everybody! I wanted to share my impressions of Chester with you all because I had such a lovely time this last weekend and have returned home buzzing!.

It's not an in depth report, more an enthusiastic rave lol!!

This break was booked very recently as a suprise, curtesy of my long suffering OH who was desperate to cheer me up.

I had been behaving very badly throughout the winter months as I turn into a miserable, husband torturing, SAD monster,, evil b***h of a wife LOL! I just can't deal with these long Northern winters!!!

Anyway, we both badly needed a break and Chester has always been in our minds.

Somehow I had never been and have been harping on about a visit for years and years........ I never seemed to be in the right area, at the right time, to get there.

WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a gob-smackingly beautiful city!! I absolutely LOVED it!!!!! (Even with the noisy excavation work going on in the centre) It really is a very special place.

We stayed in the Hoole area in the Hamilton Court Hotel. It was a fairly typical, small B&B, very clean, quite friendly and comfortable..... and the breakfasts were very, very good. (No designated parking so we parked on the road for the duration of the weekend)

No complaints there and it was only a 20 min walk into the centre.

My first impressions of the city were of complete amazement!!!

I am closely involved with York ( I have family there) and sort of expected it to be a rather poorer version........HOW .WRONG COULD I BE!!

The wealth of old architecture, the history and the walls are so stunning, it completely took me aback. Every street/area had so much to offer that it was completely overwhelming.

I just wasn't prepared for how much of it was there. It was much larger than expected but so accessible. We never felt too crowded and the atmosphere on the street was so laid back....It was almost continental lol!

Over the weekend, we walked for miles, up and along the walls and then down into the city.... All the usual tourist stuff like the museums, open top buses and the river cruise ( a combined ticket curtesy of the tourist info office) ........Everything on offer to see, do and experience was sampled! (Much too much to go into)

It was absolutely lovely and the weather was splendid.

We ate at the 'Refectory' by the cathedral on one night ( Good) and the next night, on recommendation, La Fattoria, Lower Bridge Street. ( This is an excellent place and always full, so book early or you won't get in)

In between we sampled the wares of the many good cake shops haha!.

BTW the only disappointment was Antonio's Gelateria in Northgate Street.......The coffee was very good but the toasted sandwich was so dire that I couldn't eat it.( I really don't know what happened there as I am not ridiculously fussy) Maybe they were having a bad day.

We had a smashing time in this beautiful place. It has so much to offer and I cannot praise it enough....A perfect place to explore, even if just for a couple of days.

However, you will all have to experience it for yourselves to believe it.. :O) :O)

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Mini Trip Report - Chester

Many thanks for that glowing report of our wonderful city. We know what a perfect destination it is but it takes a visittor like yourself to really convince others. So thanks again and we look forward to seeing you on a return visit very soon.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Mini Trip Report - Chester

Thankyou chesterbuff....I will be back as I couldn't do everything that I wanted over the weekend.

We did a lot but there is still so much more to see and do.

You are lucky to live there and even though I am a country girl, I would have no trouble at all moving to a city like this....... All those quiet walkways, walls and back streets were thoroughly explored and enjoyed.

It was marvellous!!! :O) :O)

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
420 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Mini Trip Report - Chester

Great to hear that you had such a wonderful time in Chester :)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Mini Trip Report - Chester

Likewise, great to hear you had a good time.

5. Re: A Mini Trip Report - Chester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, October 31, 2012