We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel liability for cash stolen from room

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotel liability for cash stolen from room

Is anyone familiar with the laws in the UK governing hotel liability for cash stolen from guest rooms? My daughter is traveling with a group of students. Three rooms were burglarized while the group was downstairs having dinner. It appears to be an "inside" job because there was no sign of forced entry. This took place at the Best Western Queen Hotel in Chester. Thanks for the help.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel liability for cash stolen from room

I am very sorry to read of this incident. It must be very distressing for the group. Your daughter and friend must report this to the police and make sure the management of the hotel are aware of the incident.

Please though don't assume an inside job. There are ways of opening hotel room doors without any appearance of forced entry.

Just as in the USA, the hotel liability is very limited and it unlikely to cover theft from rooms.

I hope all the group were sensible enough to take out travel insurance and can claim their losses back.

Do post again if we can offer any practical help.