We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining in different hotel restaurants on Sark

Storrington, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Dining in different hotel restaurants on Sark

Following a bit of Internet research it appears that you can choose to have dinner in any of the hotels, as a change to the one you are staying in, even if you've booked half board. That sounds like a nice option but I'm wondering how you get there and back, assuming you don't want to cycle there, have a nice meal (and a few glasses of wine) and then attempt to cycle back. Equally, walking there and back to the farthest ones could be a bit of a chore, especially late in the evening. Can anyone help? If it's a question of the horse and carriage, how late in the evening do they run and how much are they?

6 replies to this topic
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining in different hotel restaurants on Sark

LOL, I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this question ...!

my gut feeling: you're in bad luck ... I doubt the horses and carriages run in the evening, so bikes or walking it is....

but I might very well be wrong ....

are the hotels that far apart?

Storrington, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining in different hotel restaurants on Sark

Well it's 3 miles wide by 1.5 miles long, not sure how far apart the hotels are but it would be a fairly long round trip walk, especially if you've been out walking all day!

Lewes, England.
Level Contributor
205 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining in different hotel restaurants on Sark

~ Only thing I know about Sark when I visited, is that it is very very very very (did I say very?) dark at night.

We walked from Sark moorings to a pub.... in the early evening.... well more of a ramshackle tin hut... but it was great until we tumbled out..... Glad I had a torch.... even if it was tiny......

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining in different hotel restaurants on Sark

ah, yes, it is 'famous' for it's starwatching possibilities:

skyatnightmagazine.com/news/sarks-spectacula…

( I do this on Herm and greatly enjoy it ^_^)

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,396 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining in different hotel restaurants on Sark

I n early broke my neck on Alderney wandering bk to my hotel, downhill at night. Not sure I really understood the meaning of DARK before that. You have been warned! (You can see the stars spiraling away from you. Really cool)

essex, uk
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining in different hotel restaurants on Sark

We stayed on Sark for a couple of nights at the beginning of this month and ate out both evenings. The answer to your question is quite simply - you have to walk! None of the hotels is any great distance from each other (except perhaps the one on Little Sark), but walking is the only option and you do need a good torch. The dark on Sark is VERY dark, if that doesn't sound silly, because there are no street lights and not much in the way of light from houses either. You can cycle, but the bikes that are hired out on Sark do not have lights. We were told that the locals all cycle with a torch in one hand, but we didn't fancy that, not being very used to cycling at the best of times.

If all that sounds a bit pessimistic, we LOVED our time on Sark - yes, there are a few little challenges like finding your way in the dark, but there is nowhere else like it. Enjoy the experience!

Reply to: Dining in different hotel restaurants on Sark
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sark
More Sark Topics