We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack/what to do?

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to pack/what to do?

We are flying over to jersey the middle of August for a week!

We are traveling on a plane for the first time with our 3 children. We just wanted some info on attractions and weather really as we are using it as a taster flight to see how they will be :)

We are stopping in st helier?? If that's right, in panama appartmebts.

Is it worth hiring a car?

Thank you :)

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,703 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack/what to do?

Things to do?

www.jersey.com/english/Pages/default.aspx

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack/what to do?

How old are the kids and what type of activities do you normally enjoy? Sporty/outdoors/historical/walking/cycling?...

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack/what to do?

Very informative travelbob.

The ages of the Children would be helpful, but I've added a list below of attractions suitable for families;

Durrell Wildlife www.durrell.org

The Amazin Maze www.jerseyleisure.com

Mont Orgueil Castle www.jerseyheritage.org

Elizabeth Castle "

The Maritime Museum "

Jersey Museum "

La Hougue Bie "

Hamptonne Country Life Museum "

The Living Legend www.jerseyslivinglegend.co.je

Les Mielles www.lesmielles.com

And of course we have miles and miles of beaches and country lanes and sand dunes and scenery to enjoy free of charge :)

That should be enough to get you started!

The weather should be a bit warmer than the UK; but we're not in the Med so expect the same variation in August that you'd see at home. It might be beautiful all week, you might see some rain or cooler days.

Let us know if you need anything more specific

Thanks

Bex

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack/what to do?

When I was on holiday in Jersey I was glad that I had hired a car and especially with a family to transport around. My favourite visit out of all of them was Durrell Wildlife, great for adults and children.

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack/what to do?

Sorry I missed you car question; I would say yes, certainly for a couple of days at least. Do check that the Panama Apartments have a space free whilst you're there though; they only have a limited number which they book and allocate in advance, and parking in that area is tricky if you don't have a space (although the nearest public car park is less than 10 minutes walk away).

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack/what to do?

Thanks everyone :)

We have ended up booking through flyjersey and have got ourselves an amazing deal for us all at Norfolk lodge inc car hire for the week! So we won't have to worry so much about car parking and will have a big breakfast every morning :)

Our girls are 3, 5 and 7

We love the look of the zoo and will defiantly look at hiring bikes :)

Can't wait! Just hope they handle the flight graciously

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack/what to do?

I am sure they will be really excited about flying and the whole holiday sounds really good. If you have never flown with young children before there is just one thing to look out for that is very common with the very young ones and that is the effect of the change of air pressure in the plane as the flight gets going. The ears of young children can feel the change in pressure a lot more than adults and it can hurt their ears for a while. Not saying this to distress you, just to pre warn you . There is not much you can do about it and it normally eases off as the flight progresses and your flight will be a short one anyhow. You may be lucky and it won't affect any of yours .

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack/what to do?

Following on from hardygeranium, be sure to pop a few lollies in your hand luggage - I understand they can help considerably with earache (even if just as a distraction!).

Your girls are the perfect age to get the most of the attractions here and the Norfolk Lodge is a fantastic base. Have fun!! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to pack/what to do?

Yes of course . Bectoria is right. Sucking a hard sweet or lolly can help as it massages the jaws and ears, so to speak.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What to pack/what to do?

Never thought about the taking off, iv never flew before either so it's going to be an experience for us all!

I'll get some lolly pops nearer the time fingers crossed it works but the flight isn't bad 1hr 20 min so shouldn't be to difficult :)

Just keeping them entertained at the airport now :)

Get answers to your questions about Jersey