I will be heading out to Jersey in March to conduct 7 months of fieldwork around the island as part of my PhD, and will be repeating this in 2015 also.
At the moment I am trying to work out whether it will be easier to bring a car over by ferry from the UK, or whether I should buy one on the island for the time that I need it. From looking through various websites about what is needed, am I right in assuming the following?:
- I can use my UK driving licence in conjunction with an International Driving Permit
- There is no car tax or MOT system on Jersey
- I will need car insurance (as normal, ensuring it covers Jersey of course)
Furthermore, I have the following questions:
- If I am bringing a car over from the UK for 7 months, do I need to get the car switched to Jersey Plates or is it OK to stick with UK plates as long as I have the nationality plate on?
- Also, does anyone have any recommendations for car insurance providers on Jersey, or those that cover both the UK and Jersey?
Thanks in advance for any help.