We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Jersey - what is needed (from the UK)

Canterbury, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Driving in Jersey - what is needed (from the UK)

Hi,

I will be heading out to Jersey in March to conduct 7 months of fieldwork around the island as part of my PhD, and will be repeating this in 2015 also.

At the moment I am trying to work out whether it will be easier to bring a car over by ferry from the UK, or whether I should buy one on the island for the time that I need it. From looking through various websites about what is needed, am I right in assuming the following?:

- I can use my UK driving licence in conjunction with an International Driving Permit

- There is no car tax or MOT system on Jersey

- I will need car insurance (as normal, ensuring it covers Jersey of course)

Furthermore, I have the following questions:

- If I am bringing a car over from the UK for 7 months, do I need to get the car switched to Jersey Plates or is it OK to stick with UK plates as long as I have the nationality plate on?

- Also, does anyone have any recommendations for car insurance providers on Jersey, or those that cover both the UK and Jersey?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

UK
Level Contributor
5,641 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Jersey - what is needed (from the UK)

You don't need an International Driving Licence to drive in the Channel Islands. Your UK licence will do for a short stay (I can't remember if the limit is six or twelve months), if you're staying longer you just go and swap it for a local one.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Jersey - what is needed (from the UK)

You definitely don't need an IDL to drive in Jersey.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Jersey - what is needed (from the UK)

I believe if it's less than a year you don't need to register the car on Jersey, but I would contact the States of Jersey - number shown in link below;

gov.je/TRAVEL/…RegisterVehicle.aspx

The link is very generic and covers cars from places other than the UK.

I believe cars are more expensive on Jersey (second hand prices I've seen on dealer forecourts seemed higher) so consider that if thinking of buying there, though you would possibly sell in the same market? I would take own mainland car, unless I wanted to change anyway.

My insurance covers Jersey, as did previous policies I've had, but I suggest you speak to your insurance and ring a few companies to see what they say. I assume you will need the address where you will stay and/or park the car?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Jersey - what is needed (from the UK)

I should add, whilst there's no MoT or annual road tax on Jersey I suspect you will need these to still be valid if you are driving on UK plates. I don't think you can drive a UK registered car around for 7 months with an expired or cashed in tax disc or invalid MoT, but I'm not sure. Again it's best to ask the agency at States of Jersey for a definitive answer. Obviously you would need tax and MoT in place for the car's return to the mainland. I'm not sure if you could drive off the ferry direct to an MoT test station with a pre-booked appointment - I guess you could and would need to if the MoT ran out whilst on Jersey? If MoT renewal/ expiry is going to become an issue best to get a new MoT done before you leave the UK even if that means having it done months prematurely. Many people do that anyway if selling the car.

I understand the Jersey system works on the Parish constables checking cars to assess road worthiness. They inspect cars from time to time.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Jersey - what is needed (from the UK)

When I lived in Jersey, cars were a lot cheaper over there than on the mainland. Whether or not they still are, I don't know.

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Jersey - what is needed (from the UK)

Just a note on car prices; bear in mind that although prices may seem comparatively higher the cars more often than not have a very low mileage and are in good condition. I just bought a 2006 VW Polo for £4995 with only 22,000 on the clock.

As far as I am aware you can be here for up to 12 months on your UK plates and licence, so no need to change either. I also believe (but am not 100% that you can drive from the boat to an MOT centre on your return, if it has expired).

If you want to take out insurance locally I recommend Islands Insurance.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Jersey - what is needed (from the UK)

Can't really add much to what others have said!

Regarding going from the Ferry to an MOT centre, that is indeed what you must do. If your insurance isn't valid and is unable to be renewed while in Jersey, you must drive straight to your UK home and park the car until it's insured. No stops, even if you live in Aberdeen. Not even for fuel. Not one. We were told this by a slightly over-zealous lady from the DVLA, who insisted that we might be arrested if we failed to comply. We weren't able to, but thankfully avoided the long arm of the law.

Your insurance, as on the mainland, will likely depend on your car and personal circumstances. We never have any joy with local insurers for some reason, but have had far better prices from Sheila's Wheels and Allianz.

If your car has anything wrong with it and you're unlucky enough to end up in a stop check, you'll need to rectify whatever is found to be wrong and take it to DVS (our equivalent of DVLA) for examination and verification. This may consist of a bloke with an oily rag and a torch having a quick looky and saying "Ah, that's fine, ma luv" then you're good to go.

8. Re: Driving in Jersey - what is needed (from the UK)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, January 07, 2014
9. Re: Driving in Jersey - what is needed (from the UK)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 08, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Jersey
Recent Conversations