We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking on the Channel Islands

Lexington...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Walking on the Channel Islands

My husband and I are Americans, in our 60s, who like to do long distance walking, from b and b, to b and b. We would like to spend a few weeks in the Channel Islands next summer, and spend 5 or 6 days walking. Does anyone have any suggestions for which island would be the best to do this on? Good walking guidebooks? We are also interested in day walks for the rest of the time. We are not interested in paying a company to set this up for us; we can do this, once we decide where we are walking. Also, is it possible to avoid renting a car and just rely on buses and the occasional taxi?

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking on the Channel Islands

Long distance walking on the Channel Islands? Jersey, the largest, is very roughly six miles by eight, Guernsey smaller than that. I am not sure it would be easy to take many long distance walks there. If you really like a lot of walking it might be better to combine the Channel Islands with a couple of English counties or perhaps Normandy.

Edited: 10:39 am, November 24, 2013
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking on the Channel Islands

The bus service on Guernsey is excellent, no need for a car at all, in six days you could walk all of it!! Do three days on Guernsey and three on Jersey, charming islands both of them.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking on the Channel Islands

Jersey has some very pleasant coastal walking along cliff tops, often with interesting relics of World War Two. The bus services are very good and go all over the island.

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking on the Channel Islands

Wife and I are in our 60s and we love walking. Can't talk for Jersey - haven't had the pleasure of going there - but on a visit to Guernsey the other year, we managed miles of walking along the footpaths and cliff tops all round the Island of Guernsey without needing to change hotels. The main tourist office had a number of maps (some free) detailing the walks. Another map also showed the bus routes and bus stops so we could bring them together to plan some interesting long walks but with means to get back to our hotel by bus when needed (it was VERY wet when we went!!!). Recommend a day trip to the paradise island of Herm from Guernsey if the weather is nice (make sure you check the return ferry time and pick up point as these can change due to tides) and you might also want to consider spending a couple of days on Sark (motor vehicles are banned on both these tiny islands).

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking on the Channel Islands

Hi Mary,

We would suggest checking out VisitGuernsey's website, they have a page dedicated to self-guided walks with a heritage theme: http://www.visitguernsey.com/heritage. This includes walks in the north, west, south and St Peter Port, with pointers on what to look out for on your way.

These walks can be downloaded or a copy can be picked up from the tourist information centre.

I would suggest checking back on the website in the run up to your holiday, as there are due to be a new set of self-guided walks for 2014!

I hope this helps,

Chloe

UK
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking on the Channel Islands

OP mentioned Guernsey and Jersey, someone else mentioned Sark and Herm.... I think one should mention Alderney, just for completeness. Much smaller than Jersey and Guernsey but larger than Sark and Herm. Lots of nice walks (I've done a few of them).

Getting there is not quite as straightforward as getting to Sark or Herm as it's further away - the main mode of transport between Guernsey and Alderney is by air rather than by sea (several daily flights by 16-seater Trislanders). There is an occasional ferry service (www.bumblebee.gg) which will operate on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays in the 2014 season.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking on the Channel Islands

Hi Mary, here are some links for you to whet your appetite - I hope you enjoy our island,

http://www.visitguernsey.com/walking

www.guernseywalker.me.uk/Walks%20master.html

http://www.islandlife.org/walking_gsy.htm

Buses are frequent and fairly reliable http://www.hctgroup.org/ct_plus_guernsey and taxis are easy to get.

Edited: 1:12 pm, December 01, 2013
Lexington...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking on the Channel Islands

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, and the website links! It's wonderful to have a forum like this.

Mary

9. Re: Walking on the Channel Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Guernsey
Recent Conversations