We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

island hopping

gourock
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
island hopping

Hi my wife and I are planning to visit Guernsey and Jersey this year. Can anyone suggest a good and inexpensive way of island hopping. Our options are open as to when we come and which way we get there. So we may start from UK mainland ferry or even fly direct to either CI and start there. Thanks. This is a trip down memory land for me as worked a summer season as a teenager for Guernsey Tomato board in 1973. Need to go before memory loss kicks in (joking)

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: island hopping

From Guernsey you can get ferries to Herm, Sark and Jersey, and flights to Jersey and Alderney. Obviously the reverse also applies. Unless you have your own boat (or are a very keen swimmer) they are your options for getting between the islands. I do not think they are cheap.

You cannot take your car to Herm or Sark. If you could dismantle your car and get someone to ship it across I expect it would be ok to take it to Alderney. There are car ferries from Portsmouth and Poole (and hopefully soon back at Weymouth) to Jersey and Guernsey. There are also ferries from France.

There are flights to the channel islands from all over the UK. It depends where you are departing from which operator you use. I've been on flybe, Blue Islands and Aurigny from Southampton. You have to love very small planes.

2. Re: island hopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, October 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Channel Islands