We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train cost - Ely to Worcester

Washington DC
Level Contributor
326 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Train cost - Ely to Worcester

In September, 2013, I plan to travel from Ely to Worcester. The cost shown on the National Rail site is GBP 59. It is about 12 weeks from my date of travel. Can I expect that this price will be reduced somewhat? I don't see the word "Advance" on the ticket price. Thank you. -katie

Ely Cathedral
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites
The Animal Experience
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Zoos
Oliver Cromwell's House
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites
4 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
10,067 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train cost - Ely to Worcester

You are correct that the "advance" ticket type can be very cheap. But (and welcome to the massive complication that is the UK rail ticket system) these tickets are not offered on every journey, and it looks like you've stumbled on one example where there isn't an "advance" option.

You can (quite legally) save money by "split ticketing"'. You buy an "advance" ticket for the Ely to Birmingham New Street journey and another ticket for the next leg to Worcester. That's likely to reduce the cost a lot.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train cost - Ely to Worcester

That is an anytime single which will be the same price on the day. There are no advance fares for the complete journey

For cheaper fares buy an advance single from Ely to Birmingham (possibly as low as £16.50) and a separate ticket to Worcester - £7.60 anytime single

Cross Country have released advance tickets up to 15 September, so if your journey is before then start looking - and booking

Washington DC
Level Contributor
326 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train cost - Ely to Worcester

Thank you very much. I understand. --katie

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train cost - Ely to Worcester

The Birmingham Worcester ticket is flexible as you've probably gathered. You could use it on any of the routes mentioned to either Worcester station

You do stand a chance of getting a train an hour earlier from Birmingham. The train from Ely arrives something like 7 minutes before the Worcester/Hereford train leaves. As the official connecting time is 12 minutes, it doesn't show up in the journey planner, It is doable if the train is on time - but maybe not with luggage

Reply to: Train cost - Ely to Worcester
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ely